2012 Sonata - Fix or Sell?

I have no idea whether or not cleaning the latch mechanism will help or not. I can only say that I have done this a number of times with positive results including on my own cars. I live in a quasi Dust Bowl so grimed up latch assemblies are not uncommon here.
It’s a cheap and easy try anyway and the chain lube makes a great lubricant for any other latches and hinges in use.

The transmission fluid should have been changed 3 times, so far. If that has not been done, then you REALLY need to do it, unless you want to saddle your daughter with a transmission whose lifespan will be limited by lack of maintenance. Also, assuming that the brake fluid has never been flushed, that needs to be done. This is a safety issue, so I hope that you would do this for daughter’s sake.

3 Likes

When I think about carcomplaints.com, I think about a general education computer science class I taught that had an enrollment of over 100 students. I was called in because four students had complained that I was too demanding. I argued that I had 25 years teaching experience and I knew what was reasonable to expect. The administrator wasn’t buying this argument. He maintained that there shouldn’t be any unhappy students. I then gave this analogy: I worked in a service station to earn money to buy a car to go to graduate school. I noted that 90% of the cars that came in for repair were either a Ford or Chevrolet. We rarely had to repair a Studebaker. Therefore, the car I should buy is a Studebaker. Now in 1962, 80% of the cars on the road were Fords or Chevrolets. Probably 1% were Studebakers. The Fords and Chevrolets that didn’t have a problem weren’t brought to the service station for a social visit. I then asked, “What about the other 98 students? Have you heard complaints from them?”
Now there were about 1600 complaints about the 2012 Sonata. What about the thousands of 2012:Sonatas for which there were no complaints?
Now perhaps the Sonata may be more prone to needing a repair than the corresponding Toyota. However, the OP’s Sonata runs well. I wouldn’t take a chance trading up to a newer Toyota because a few Sonatas had a problem.

I wonder if the person who came here not to long ago griping because his cruise control did not work on a vehicle that did not have cruise control filed on Carcomplaints or something like that.

1 Like

As far as I can tell your Sonata has a timing chain, so no need to change.
However, if not done, I would change the serpentine belt.
If not done, coolant needs to be changed.

My mechanic went through the car a with fine-tooth comb. I’m going to have him fix everything (except for the door lock). I don’t want to say here what he’s fixing or how much it is because I’m afraid to hear everyone’s response. Thank you, everyone, for helping me to make this decision.

Of course, that’s your business… but I think you’re making the right decision, keeping the car.

Good luck.

Or how about the pickup owner that complained about the key fob not locking his non existent automatic door locks.

3 Likes

I would also postulate that a teacher who generated no complaints is doing a whole lot more wrong than one that has 4 out of 100. I don’t know what the best number is, but I know it is not zero.

It can’t be that much more to fix the door problem while the thing is already in the shop .