2012 Nissan Altima - Bang and then bad things

we were driving down town and one the way back it made a lood bang and that was it no forward or reverse

1 Like

Ah, it broke. I’ve heard that happens. So, is Motor ok? It’s running? Or does motor rev and no go? It’s kinda important to figure out what is problem. Would hate to replace trans and find out motor blew up.

If the engine is still running and only revs up when giving it gas then you either broke a cv axle, probably your best case, or broke the transmission and or torque converter… That is if you were driving when this happened…

When my stator in my torque converter blew it made a loud bang and shook the whole car, kind of valiantly… lol… and I had NO gears, only park and neutral…

So get the car towed to a shop, ask them to diagnose it and give you an estimate to fix it.

1 Like

Tester

5 Likes

Exactly why there are dealers and mechanics. If you have to ask, take it to one of them. When my converter blew though, the trans had to be overhauled because of all the junk created. So yeah checkbook exercise ahead.

+1 to Tester’s comment.

From afar, I think that the OP’s problem is probably just one more instance of a Nissan CVT failure.

The options–as I see them–are to have it towed to a Nissan dealership, or to have it towed to an independent trans shop (NOT a chain-run joint like Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or–worst of all–AAMCO) for diagnosis and repair. Bring your checkbook or a credit card, and also “Google” Nissan CVT problems.

The “bang” symptom doesn’t convey much info. If I had to make an educated guess however, I’m thinking you had a big backfire which damaged the exhaust system. Modern cars often won’t even start , and even if they will start, won’t run correctly with a damaged exhaust system.

If you are diy’er inclined, look from the side of the car (not underneath), use a bright flashlight to look at the exhaust system from where it connects to the engine’s exhaust manifold all the way to the end of the tailpipe. See anything unusual?

The loud bang conveys a lot of info if you have ever blown a stator up in a torque converter and then lost all gears…lol

The OP never said anything about the engine dying, but did say lost forward and reverse…
The backfire would make since if the engine died, but a backfire would have to blow the exhaust off hard enough to knock the shift cable off and putting the transmission selector lever in the neutral position… Although possible, it’s not probable especially knowing that Nissan’s transmissions are more prone to dying than the engine backfiring…

Either way, sounds like the OP needs to have it towed to a transmission shop or dealer…

EDIT: The noise if transmission related was probably the forward drum breaking or the diff breaking or maybe even the input shaft breaking, if not converter breaking… Not sure if the belt breaking would make much noise…

2 Likes

My starter drive gear assy broke on my rider. Gear was stuck extended and motor would not turn over. Seemed dire at first. Seized motor? Gulp.

Plastic. Weak point. Not unusual for the gear to break but unusual for it to break engaged. Problem with mine was you have to pull the flywheel for access to the bolt.