2012 Lexus CT 200h - Smokes

ct200h white smoke when driving, noticeable uphill , coolant level dropping.

I guess you’re asking a question.
My crystal ball says… you have a head gasket problem.

4 Likes

These engines are known for leaking head gaskets but not this severe. The problem usually begins with misfires during start-up.

Has this engine been overheated?

2 Likes

Hi Fred,

This is my daughters car , it did show a temp warning light " intermittent warning light ", coolant was low and was filled up a couple of months ago.

We have noticed coolant level dropping but no sign of external leaks. The last couple of days my daughter sees white smoke from exhaust.

I immediately thought head gasket, or head issues but engine is not running rough, also the oil is clean, no streaks or color change, the oil level is normal.

I did consider egr cooler fault ? and not necessarily a head problem ?

Any thoughts on this

Thanks,

Stellor

Thanks for your crystal ball insight, Ha ! Yes that was my thought Head Gasket

This is my daughters car , it did show a temp warning light " intermittent warning light ", coolant was low and was filled up a couple of months ago.

We have noticed coolant level dropping but no sign of external leaks. The last couple of days my daughter sees white smoke from exhaust.

I immediately thought head gasket, or head issues but engine is not running rough, also the oil is clean, no streaks or color change, the oil level is normal. Also the car has not thrown any warning faults

I did consider EGR Cooler fault ? and not necessarily a head problem ?

Any thoughts on this

Thanks,

Stellor

A faulty head gasket most often results in billowing clouds of sweet-smelling white smoke coming from the exhaust. Thie smoke is caused by antifreeze leaking past the gasket and into the cylinders, where it is turned to steam as part of the combustion process.

1 Like

Remove the pressure cap from the coolant reservoir when the engine is cold.

Start the engine, and as the engine idles watch the coolant in he reservoir.

If bubbles form in the reservoir, it indicates a blown head gasket.

Tester

I have replace one leaking EGR cooler, that was on a NX200t.

Coolant stains around the exhaust flange indicated the cooler was leaking internally.

Many thanks, really appreciated,

Hi Fred, Thanks for the feedback, will check this, hoping its the EGR Cooler, have been told to look for bubbles by removing radiator cap when cold and starting engine ? sign of head gasket failure.