2012 Hyundai Santa Fe: Need to change tires

I was with Tires Plus before Firestone took over all the Nashville shops in 2006, I forget the date but FS had bought TP some years before that, so TP is basically a FS…
fun useless facts… lol

Put YOUR money where your mouth is then, do not advise someone that you know NOTHING about to do something potentially dangerous… Just Stupid!!

Mr. Volvo answered that one pretty well…

Unlike you, I do not have a crazy and criminal mind…

Again, why have the mods and admin still allowing you to post crap like this…

1 Like

That true. Sometimes they are waiting for a chump to come along so they can unload some cheap tires.

1 Like

Don’t skimp on tires. Once I notice how nice the car drives & feels with newly installed tires, whatever they cost always seems worth it.

2 Likes

I know I’ll get flagged, but on this particular one I don’t care.

5 Likes

I believe user Wonderful90s was employing sarcasm.

My gosh you have the intuition of a door-stopper…

Then put a smiley or lol or something, and rather you and I knew it was a joke or sarcasm or whatever, does not mean the OP or someone that English is not their 1st language or a newbie that still looks at the side of their tire for inflation pressures or whoever, may not understand that and it could potentially be a safety issue…

You evidently have not read most of his stupid advise he has given on this forum, some down right dangerous and he was being serious…

I thought you were smarter than that, guess not… Mr. door stop intuition…

And trust me, I can be the most sarcastic AH out there, but I have to watch what I say when I have no idea who may be reading it…

4 Likes

Yet when I tell folks, on CarTalk and elsewhere, not to go by what’s on the tire, I get lambasted for it. Damned if I’m wrong, damned if I’m right.

Watch Clint Eastwood as “Kowalsky” in Gran Torino - as I’ve aged I’ve adopted some of his “school of hard knocks”/tough love style of expressing things. It’s not meant personally.

Now someone is actually claiming that it is dangerous to mix different brands of tires? I know there are some minor issues like different rates of wear and different tread types. Possibly danger due to different traction, but driving with worn out tires is a much much bigger problem. I didn’t ever expect the person to actually take their time to participate in an experiment by buying 4 different brands of tires. People get a flat tire and replace it with different brands all the time. Yes there was a bit of jest or sarcasm. Just pick out some tires or else do it right and do a proper science experiment.

1 Like

Just an FYI: In emergency maneuvers, cars tend to rotate around odd tires - and the more odd the tire, the more severe the rotation.

I would think that 4 different tires would quadruple the chance that there would be a tire that is odd enough to cause a severe problem. I think that qualifies as dangerous.

6 Likes

+1
I just don’t understand why the moderator(s) allow that person to continually post suggestions that amount to nothing more and nothing less than dangerous practices.

1 Like

For someone like me, who drives mainly within the limits of the law, and routinely checks their tires, having T-rated Tourings on one axle and V-rated High Performance All-seasons on the other, would likely not have any serious issues.

But for the rest of drivers out there, who do 30mph through parking lots, 35mph in a 25, 70 in a 55, or 10mph over posted on an icy back road, such could spell disaster.

Note: by the above I am NOT condoning knowingly combining tires, mismatched by wear, size, or peformance category, on any motor vehicle.

As CapriRacer said, it’s called emergency maneuvers for a reason, not planned…

I know you would never on purpose do it but accident’s do happen…

Side note, I have seen H rated and under tires vibrate on Accords and Camrys (and others) that call for V rated tires, it is due to the spring rate and shock designed for the V rated sidewall and the H and under rated sidewalls flex to much causing the tire to bounce… I may not be explaining that perfect but you get the gist of it…

1 Like

I got a set of wheels. 2 tires are 2022. 1 is 2021. And 1 is 2014. It happens

The 2014 one really needs to be replaced… It could last another 20 years, or it could come apart at anytime due to age, seen it happen way to many times… speed = heat and heat can = blow out…

I know this is not your 1st rodeo, just be cautious… It happens…

I’ve never been to the Philippines so have no idea of the tire stores there. I will say that capri is the resident tire exoert and mustangman the racing exoert.

For the good car I usually buy goodyear weather ready for rain and snow for $1200 and generals for the other car at $800. According to the plant codes they are made in the us.

I will say some years ago I needed some cheap white walls to last a year or so before I junked the car. The tire shop sold me some no names for about $200. No idea where they were made but they actually were very good tires. Good snow traction, quiet, etc. so just deal with a trusted tire shop, not necessarily a discount chain.

There are lots of things I like to save money on, but tires aren’t one of them. I have owned cars which came with no-name cheap tires, and the braking and handling were noticeably worse than what I expected. And changing to better quality brand-name tires significantly improved the braking distance and handling.

I am, of course, not saying to buy the most expensive tires which fit your car, but I definitely would not buy the cheapest, either.

And on a 2WD vehicle, you can buy tires in sets of two. I don’t rotate my tires, and on a FWD vehicle, the rear tires stay like new, and the front tires wear out. Then, I go to the tire dealer, and buy two new tires, which go on the rear. The ones which were on the rear go on the front.

2 Likes

If i ever met that jerk in person id put his lights out.

When I needed tires on my '71 Charger while I waited for my '74 Volvo, I went to a local tire store and I bought their “house brand” tires. The brand was Falls. The handling was… okay… but the loud squealing noises that they emitted when I made a turn–even at low speed, and with proper inflation–was really annoying.

1 Like

But a compatible product from a different company is permitted to be mixed? So we agree then.