2012 GMC Terrain opinions, please

overall what would you rate 2012 gmc slt terrain thanks jim

Jim, the Ask Someone part is a little misleading in my opinion . It really does not connect you with 2012 Terrain owners only. It posted on the CarTalk forum. If you explain why you are asking you will get better replies. If you are thinking of buying a used one the standard reply here is ( spend about 100.00 to 125.00 dollars and have a mechanic examine the vehicle for things that might cause you to look elsewhere.

Now others might not agree with me but I say every used vehicle stands on its own . Not all have the same problems and not all have had the same type of care.

1 Like

Hi,

The 2010 to 2013 GMC Terrain and Chevrolet Equinox with the 2.4L 4 cyl engine had oil consumption due to premature piston ring wear. For this reason alone I would avoid this these years.

Here is my experience with my 2013 Equinox. also, google Terrain or Equinox oil consumption.

Ed B.

Avoid the years 2010-11-12 with the 2.4L 4cylinder because of oil burning issue.Premature transmission failure is also a concern on those.Now, like any vehicule you want to purchase,an inspection is in order.

Consumer Reports’ data on reliability say 2012 is average overall. The 2011 and 2010 are much worse than average. That generation of the Terrain first came out in 2010. Seems to me like the vehicle does not age well, as far as reliability. If that is the case, in years to come CR data will show the 2012 as much worse than average.

That said, if you like the vehicle, keep in mind that average reliability is better than it used to be. And depending on where the lines in the data plot are drawn, about one half of all models are somewhere below average in reliability. They can still be vehicles most owners like.

hi i have 2012 gmc terrrain in has 87091km no oil usage or transmission problems when do these problems start please let me know thanks jim

These problems are not predictable and do not start at the same time for all vehicles. Relax , stop worrying and drive on. If you really do lose sleep over this then replace the thing with a new one with warranty.

Jim45,

I first noticed oil consumption between the 20k and 25k mile (32k and 40k km) oil changes on my 2013 Equinox. By 42k mile (67k km) oil consumption was 1 qt/1500 miles. If your Terrain is not using oil at 87k you’re probably okay. Make a habit of checking the oil level between changes though.

The pistons, rings, and a timing chain were replaced on my Equinox at 42k miles under warranty. It has 75k miles (120k km) with no oil consumption and no transmission issues. I change the oil every 5k miles (8k km) with full synthetic oil.

Ed B.

thanks jim