2012 Chevy Equinox misfiring

Hello,
I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox LT 2.4L it is misfiring badly. Coded it and codes P0302 came up, but also code P0300 this code came up twice and then it was just the 302 code. We changed all 4 spark plugs, changed the ignition coil to cylinder 2 and also changed the Purge valve solenoid ( car was running fine, got gas and 4-5 miles down the road it started sputtering, jerking back, no power going uphill, running really rough) we also put HEET in it thinking possible water in gas due to possibly bad gas! Nothing changed. RPMs are at 1000 and then bog down or will either stall! I am at a loss now, any help greatly appreciated. (still codes to a P0302 after repairs)

Check the fuel pressure. An idling engine doesn’t take much fuel to a faulty fuel pump or regulator may do just fine under those conditions. That all changes once you put more of a load on it.

Go back to the gas station and ask if there’s been other complaints like this immediately after buying gasoline there. Perhaps they are aware of a problem. HEET is a good product but can’t work miracles. For example I doubt it would help if the gasoline was contaminated w/ diesel fuel. If nothing obvious turns up on further diagnosis what I’d probably do it have the gas tank drained and re-fill with fresh gasoline and see if that helps.

Are you sure it was gas and not diesel you put in? It happens all the time.

yes, it was gas for sure!

People keep telling me to add Seafoam to my car. To put it in the oil, gas tank and brake booster line? Is this safe and also helpful?

I would switch the coils of Cyl 2 with a coil from another cylinder to make sure you have a good coil. If the problem moves to the other cylinder you have a bad coil (even if new).

Check the fuel pressure and check for vacuum leaks. At least once you had a random misfire (P0300) and they usually do not correct themselves. Don’t waste your money on SeaFoam. It won’t work in this instance.

1 Like

ran diagnostic on it. Only cylinder misfiring is 2, all the other cylinders were fine. Fuel pressure was good. We changed the coil in cylinder 2 and switched them around. We also unhooked each coil all of them but Cylinder 2 bogged down. There was no change. Thought coil was bad, got a new one and still the same thing, everyone but 2 bogged down when disconnected ( going to run a test on it to see if coil 2 is getting power to it).

We did a computer diagnostic on it! It wasn’t at a shop, but my friend brought his computer diagnostic over. So we are thinking it is either injector (fuel balance test on the injectors were 48 for Cylinder injectors 1 and 2,Cylinder injector 3 was 0.07 and Cylinder 4 was 204), or cylinder itself! Draining tank tomorrow and putting in good gas!

Well just going to have to chalk it up and take it to the shop…ugh!!! tried everything we could…lol! Some things needed for testing we do not have. Tested the power to all the coils…fine. Got the fuel rail out ( that was so much fun…lol) and check the resistance on all the injectors… evidently I have low resistance injectors because they all were stable around 3.6 when tested with the millimeter. Cleaned all the injectors. Could of replaced number 2 injector since it is misfiring on cylinder 2, but decided to take it to a mechanic. Don’t want to waste the money if that is not the problem! So we will just see what the mechanic comes up with!

What was the outcome? Having same issues

Yeah I got the exact same error code on my 2012 Chevy Equinox LS 4 cylinder ecotec 2.4 l. But my crazy ex poured sugar in my gas tank and the car would not start so I took it to the mechanic and he cleaned my tank and switched my fuel pump got it running again but I still was getting p0300 and p0302 codes. Mechanic told me to get new fuel injectors now so I’m currently going to be switching the fuel injectors this week. Car as of right now sputters when I’m at a stop sign or red light not always but usually does and it’ll stall if I don’t rev the engine. Sugar must of gotten into my injectors and causing the misfire. After I change my fuel injectors I will see if the sputtering is rectified and if not I will change the spark plugs.

1. You should start your own thread.

2. Sugar had nothing to do with your misfiring.
    Can Sugar in the Gas Tank Really Kill Your Engine?

Actually sugar had everything to do with my rough idle. So after my ex put sugar in my tank I got the fuel pump switched out immediately so the car would atleast run and drive but afterwards the idle was so rough while stopped that it would stall. So I got all 4 of my fuel injectors replaced and wallah she’s purring like a kitten and never once has had a rough idle. Everything is back to normal and running perfectly fine. The idea to switch my fuel injectors was my mechanics and I’m so happy I listened to him. Fuel injectors ran me about $80 a pop x4. So $320 and the labor was about 300. Hope this helps and Merry Christmas

1 Like

Thanks for the follow-up Brandon. Cars & ex-wives not a good combo in your case. Just curious, did you try a couple rounds of fuel injector cleaner before replacing the injectors?

I’m having the same problems .I’ve change coils and spark plug,cat.,02 sensors . Now i think it’s the timing belt

That engine utilizes a timing chain, rather than a timing belt, and timing chains rarely need to be replaced on a well-maintained engine. That being said, the timing chains on some 2011-2012 Equinoxes have been so problematic that GM has extended the warranty on that part to 10 years/200k miles.

I suggest that you immediately phone a Chevy dealership, give them your VIN, and ask if your particular vehicle is covered by that warranty extension–before the 10 year coverage expires.

1 Like

Back in 2016 the pistons and rings were replaced on my 2013 Equinox 2.4 4cyl at 42k miles. The timing chain also had to be replaced due to stretching and that happened with 5k full synthetic oil changes.

Hoping your Equinox is covered under the warranty VDC mentioned.

Good luck,

Ed B.

1 Like