2012 Buick LaCrosse - Locked out

I have a 2012 Buick Lacrosse that the key fob or the key itself will not open the doors or trunk. How can I get in this vehicle?

There appears to be a lock cylinder in the drivers door handle, press the button on the key to extend the key blade.

2 Likes

Driver Door Key Lock Cylinder
Access (In Case of Dead
Battery)
To access the driver door key lock
cylinder:

1. Insert the key into the slot on
    the bottom of the cap.
  2. Lift the key upward to remove
    the cap.
  3. Insert the key into the cylinder
    and turn to unlock

Capture+_2022-05-03-09-27-01

Different year but probably close.

2 Likes

I have found that if the lock cylinders are not used for a number of years, they can stick. I know you shouldn’t use WD40 on locks but still it might help free up the cylinders. Then once a year work them a little. Or call a lock smith.

Might be a dumb question, but have you ever been able to get into the car?

If your physical key , inserted directly into the door lock cylinders, won’t open any of the doors, you’ll have to visit a dealership. There, you’ll be asked to to prove you own the car. If there were another way to do this, the car’s locks wouldn’t be effective at keeping out thieves.

Or, better yet, use this product which I found recently at Lowe’s. When I couldn’t find graphite at the store I bought this product, and the difference in how smoothly my locks (home, auto, mailbox) function is nothing short of amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Houdini-General-Purpose-Cleaner-Lubricant/dp/B08L42XNGZ/ref=sr_1_2?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyMiTBhDKARIsAAJ-9VtbL79VdTuf-UW0GDhrIHhiwENX4tq8jypqTyZ3G_-3I6EuAQp3e6caAlt0EALw_wcB&hvadid=409959007408&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9004041&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17805070028835504558&hvtargid=kwd-296811243799&hydadcr=24658_11410762&keywords=houdini+lubricant&qid=1651676285&sr=8-2

1 Like

I’ll have to look, but hopefully it’s a little cheaper than $72 for two on Amazon.

When I bring it up onscreen, it shows $5.24 for one can of Houdini lock lube at Amazon.
I think I paid about the same price at Lowe’s.

Figured as such. Never know though in Minnesota. I get the same thing with Menards sometimes where the price lists in the thousands for something. Maybe a private seller trying to make lunch money.

Also, the price from the same Amazon seller can be variable–within a matter of just a few minutes.
My brother pointed this out to me, and I have confirmed it.

If you don’t have any of the dry-lube product, one work-a-round is to rub the key a little with a pencil lead. That will get some graphite on the key’s surface, some of which will transfer to inside the lock.

I don’t think the locks are the problem . I think they do not know there is a key in the remote fob that fits the door lock. But I doubt if we will ever hear if that is correct.