2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon — ATF fluid change

Should I have the automatic transmission fluid changed in year 8?
I drive very little (about 4000 miles per year) so do most maintenance by time. My trusted service advisor has left the dealership which rewards me with free oil changes for life. Four years ago (when the car was four years old but had about 16000 miles) they advised me to change my automatic transmission fluid and I did so. Does it need to be changed again this year? Acura does not specify time for this and car is supposed to tell me when it needs maintenance but almost never does because I drive so little. I have the oil changed every year and the brake fluid every three years (replaced battery when car was about 5 and a half and tires when the car was 6). Thank you for your thoughts!

You should be OK for another 8 years at least on the transmission fluid. Every 30 to 60,000 miles is about right. Engine oil is changed on time because short trips create acids in the oil that can form sludge in the engine. Transmissions don’t do that.

6 Likes

Tester

It makes some sense to me that it would degrade over time . . . and the original service advisor said every four years. This is my first automatic transmission. My prior car was a 1995 Saturn SW 2 manual transmission and the maintenance intervals were clearly established by both mileage and time. That original clutch and transmission lasted until I donated the car to Car Talk after 17 years.

Thank you! This is my first automatic transmission.

Do you live in Pasadena? :wink:

1 Like

I’d change every 30,000-40,000 in your situation. Just make sure only Honda/Acura fluid is used.

2 Likes

Thank you!

No . . .I first used this forum eight years ago when buying this car . . I am an old lady (not little, I fear) but I was thinking of the little old lady who drives her car very rarely.

It makes some sense to me that it would degrade over time . . . and the original service advisor said every four years. This is my first automatic transmission. My prior car was a 1995 Saturn SW 2 manual transmission and the maintenance intervals were clearly established by both mileage and time. That original clutch and transmission lasted until I donated the car to Car Talk after 17 years.