2011 Toyota Corolla cranks, but won't start

Hello everyone! I hope that I can find some assistance here.

So I was on my way to work, got in my car, went to start it up - it cranked, but did not start. Very odd considering that I filled up the tank two days before.

My friend and I were seeing what the issue was. First, we checked the battery - it was good and not dead.

Doing more research, we figured it was the spark plugs. As I was in need of some, it would make sense. Bought new spark plugs, put them in, but no luck. I also cleaned the battery, but still no luck.

The only other thing we could think of is the fuel pump. But then again, I don’t see why I would suddenly have an issue with the fuel pump. We also sprayed starter fluid but to no avail.

I don’t really know what else to do. Does anyone have any other ideas on what I can do in this case?

The problem might be with a faulty crankshaft position sensor.

One of the functions of the crank sensor is to inform the computer whether or not the crankshaft is rotating when starting the engine. If the computer doesn’t see a signal from this sensor, the computer see’s no reason to operate the fuel and ignition systems, so the engine doesn’t start.

Tester

1 Like

Thanks Tester! How ironic that as soon as I create this post, I find what the issue is! The world works in crazy ways, right?

The issue was my gas. I went to start it up again, while it was trying to start, I gave it some gas. Next thing you know, a cloud full of dust shoots out my pipes.

I think I may have gone to a bad gas station a few days ago when getting gas. It’s possible they did not clean out their stations correctly? Either way, that seemed to have done the trick (unless someone has it out for me and tried to screw me over).

Thanks for the info!!

Maybe the station was switching the pump circuits around for some reason and in the process some diesel fuel got pumped into your car by mistake. Gasoline engines definitely do not appreciate a dose of diesel fuel. Glad you are back on the road with a good running car in any event.