2011 Toyota Camry Strange AC Failing Symptoms

Ok, Ok, Ok, I butchered the vacuum explanation, I surrender.

Major edit to reduce the vacuum rage:)

I had a very intermittent/random “A/C not blowing cold” problem that progressively became worse over a ~6 month period;

When the A/C worked, it was ~40 degrees out the vents. When you least expected it, and needed it, you’d get no cold air.

Solution: Replace the engine intake air filter.

Background on the A/C system:
The 2010 does not have a traditional A/C relay setup, it has a “smart” computer (aka. A/C amplifier) dedicated to the A/C system. It’s buried in the dashboard, so pray it’s not faulty:)

That A/C computer has multiple sensor inputs; using that data it turns the A/C clutch on and off by providing a ground through the board. You’re going to find this hard to believe, but your intermittent A/C may be a dirty air intake filter.

Here’s why:
(Edited to reduce it to layman’s terms as I butchered the technical explanation)

For technical reasons I’ll leave to others, a clogged air filter tricks the A/C computer into shutting off the A/C clutch thinking it’s providing you more power in an acceleration situation.

Changing the air filter fixed the problem for me; how did I figure this out? Totally random. It was time to change the air filter, I removed it, held it to the sun and could barely see any light; held the new one up and the sun blazed through. I was shocked it was so plugged, then I remembered 2023 was very dry and lots of construction was putting insane amounts of dirt in the air.

I hope this helps anyone struggling with an “unfixable/random” Camry A/C issue! Oh, check your cabin filter behind the glove box too!

Another Edit. My Camry has an “A/C amplifier”, computer, that controls the A/C and will shut it off if it “thinks” you’re mashing the pedal.
You can read more about this here: A/C Amplifier HELP! | Tacoma World

Also, a Toyota dealer was stumped, could not see any issues, suggested waiting for total failure. Replaced air filter, problem solved.

I got involved with diagnosing a 1996 Lexus and found that the factory manual was poorly written and components either improperly identified or not identified. And the owner had been to 2 independent shops that specialized in Toyotas/Lexuses who experimented $$$$ but were useless in their efforts.

FWIW the car had an unidentified post evaporator pressure regulator.

The A/C relay may be on the back side of the cabin fuse block.

Pure garbage.

1 Like

A dirty air filter has very little pressure drop at idle.

So, your theory of causing an AC problem is doggie do do.

Tester

4 Likes

You might want to hook up a vacuum gauge and watch what happens when you snap the throttle, cause that is a new one on me… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Many cars shut off the AC compressor when manifold vacuum drops.

1 Like

The owners manual for my car is renamed “ headache “.

Have you ever seen the manual for Datsuns, from their early days in the US marketplace? The manual for my SIL’s 1967 SPL-310 was written in what could only be described as Pidgin English, and many parts of that manual were virtually impossible to understand.

It was still the same in 1979 for my dads 280ZX.

1 Like

I think a lot of the Japanese and other languages were poorly translated back then… Heck even now some still are… lol

1960s Hondas were very laughably near useless also VDCdriver

1 Like