2011 Nissan Juke - Can I roll-start this thing?

Can I roll start my nissan juke 2011 desiel

I’m assuming it’s a manual trans. Can you make the engine turn over by the ignition switch with your foot off the brake, trans in gear, and clutch not pressed? If you answer yes to all of that, the vehicle will probably bump start. Being a 2011, I would guess the answer will be no unless you bypass a safety switch (on the clutch, most likely). I don’t have specific knowledge of that particular vehicle, but I’m assuming they’ve installed a safety switch to keep owners from accidentally starting the vehicle while in gear with clutch out and running into…stuff.

The only way to know is to try. You’d be better off using a battery-operated jump starter though.

I’ve never tried to push-start a fuel injected vehicle with a dead battery, and I’m told it doesn’t work because the fuel injectors and fuel pump aren’t getting any power, but I’ve never confirmed that.

EDIT: Wait, I just remembered that I tried to push-start my '98 Civic when its first battery died, and it didn’t start. I had to go into Target and buy jumper cables to get it started.

1 Like

If it has a manual transmission?

Yes.

But you have to get the vehicle rolling fast enough for it work.

That’s because on a diesel engine, compression is used to create enough heat in the cylinders to ignite the fuel.

Tester

Did you sell your Civic yet? Got plans for the weekend? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, it hasn’t sold yet, so it looks like I’m going to have to pay the insurance bill for another month. :frowning:

Not going to start if it has a clutch safety switch though, correct?

That shouldn’t stop it, because that only disengages the starter, not the engine.

2 Likes

The clutch inter-lock switch prevents the starter from operating.

It doesn’t prevent the engine from running.

Tester

2 Likes

Ok. I wasn’t sure if the safety switch cut power from the starter or elsewhere.

So go bump start that Civic! I wonder why you couldn’t ?

My theory is that the fuel injectors and fuel pump weren’t getting power, so no go.