2011 Nissan Altima - Oil question

AFTER EVERY OIL CHANGE OF 5 QTS, ONLY THREE QTS ARE DRAINED WHEN NEXT OIL CHANGE IS MADE. doesn’t BURN OIL, OILE CHECKED EVRY 1,500, 3000-3500 AND CHANGED AT 4,800 TO 5, 000 HIGHWAY MILES. Where is oil going? Everything checks out ???

It IS either burning the oil or leaking.
Are you topping off the oil when you check it?
One quart/2500 miles does not seem unreasonable.
How did you determine it is not burning oil?

Soooo the car drives between 1200 to 2000 miles between oil level checks?

The 2011 Altima holds either 4.86 quarts total and 0.32 in the filter for the 2.5 - 4cylinder or 4.44 quarts total with 0.22 in the filter for the 6 cylinder. I will assume about 0.25 quarts hang around inside the engine’s nooks and crannies. That means if the engine is full, a maximum of either 4.29 quarts drain out or 3.97 quarts drain out depending on the engine.

So your engine is consuming 1.29 to 0.97 quarts in 1200 to 2000 miles. So your oil consumption is 930 miles/qt to 2062 miles/qt. If you want a narrower range, check the oil level more often.

THIS IS NORMAL! STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT, @John56 AND STOP WRITING IN ALL CAPS!

Someone says they add 5 quarts at the oil change and at the next oil change they only drain out 3 quarts .

That tells me they are not checking oil level often enough and not adding oil to keep the level where it should be.

That person should be charged with ’ Attempted homicide of an engine ’ .

3 Likes

It’s not clear if you’re keeping your oil above the “add” mark or not. If not, you really want to start doing that to prevent engine damage.

Your information is not clear to me. It appears you are saying that it is two quarts low when you go to change it after ~4900 miles +/-1000. However, when you check the oil level at 1500 mile intervals in between changes, there is no consumption. That would seem to indicate that the entire two quarts gets burned in the last 1500 miles. Is that what you’re saying?