2011 Hyundai trouble after gas fill. Turns over, but engine doesn't start. Seeking input

It won’t be called out as maintenance because it is usually only replaced if it fails. Over 100K, pumps can go at any time so it can make sense to just change it out. I do my own work so it is an easy task if the car has a service plate above the tank.

OK this makes no sense so off to the shop to sort it out. Whether it’s pump or purge valve or something else, should not need a jump start. So round and round we go and I’m outta here on this one. Time for a shop.

No not a junker. A Riviera. Fuel pumps go out but never figured out why they only lasted a year.

The one time I used AZ for a code reading, their scanner couldn’t read it but instead needed to go to a dealer with the better equipment. This was for the crossover year of 95 between OBD1 and 2.

I’m thinking vapor lock when stopping for gas.

Tester

Hi folks, I got around to trying some suggestions.

While it is true that my mother was able to fill a 1/2 full tank without incident, that was not the case today. At work, she ran into trouble when her car wouldn’t start after filling from a 1/2 full tank.

Not sure if I read it here or somewhere else, but when she called me I suggested she trying giving it some gas when turning the ignition – this worked after a few tries.

OK, so I asked her if she had tried pumping the gas at a lower speed; she hasn’t tried that yet.

VOLVO_V70:

An independent shop will probably charge about 100.00 to 125.00 to find the problem and most will waive that fee if they are allowed to do the repair.
I assume the vehicle jumps were from AAA and there is a limit to how many times they will do that a year.

I’ll suggest this to her. No AAA yet, that happened before she got setup with them.

Rainflurry:

Jumps have worked? This is getting more complicated… If the jumps are, in fact, working and not just a red herring, then the issue is electrical and not fuel related. If it’s electrical (bad starter for example) that would make sense as to why there’s no code. It’s possible it’s still fuel related and the time it takes to get a jump allows the fuel issue to subside and the engine to start.

(quoted for future reference)

BillRussell:

A jump start should not get you any advantage over just cranking, as long as it is cranking at a good speed.

This makes me wonder if Rainflurry is on to something WRT the “red herring.” Like, would have giving it gas when starting ignition have worked without the jumps for those past incidents.

Or is it just the time she waits for AAA to respond?

AAA actually hasn’t been involved (yet).

Tester:

Or, does this only occur when the engine is hot?

It’s only happened when the engine is hot … so I guess temperature is another variable. Right after stopping at the gas station, so yeah. Hm, I guess one way to see if this were somehow temperature related would be to manually fill with a gas container when the car’s cool. Hmm.

I’m thinking vapor lock when stopping for gas.

nods

Mustangman:

It won’t be called out as maintenance because it is usually only replaced if it fails. Over 100K, pumps can go at any time so it can make sense to just change it out. I do my own work so it is an easy task if the car has a service plate above the tank.

Bing:

Time for a shop.

Yeah, I think you’re right; time to consult an expert. Gonna help her sort it out that way.

Hi y’all. I have a slight update. Got a “check engine light”. We got the code “P0456” (EVAP Emission System Leak Detected Very Small Leak).

So, this is somewhat “relieving” as at least it’s part of the system that I had suspected. It also indicates a mechanical problem, not an electric problem.

I’m still researching, but was discouraged earlier when a mechanic told me that this code would have nothing to do with the issue of the car not starting.

Can anyone corroborate? Thanks for your help!

Great news, everyone!

I bought a replacement PCV, had Hyundai replace the part, and the problem has completely gone away!

Problem solved!

Thank you so much for your assistance, folks. It has been very much appreciated.

EDIT: I don’t know if it’s a “thing”, but this thread should definitely be marked “solved” :slight_smile:

Good luck going forward, and thank you very much for reporting your results. Come back any time!

1 Like