Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering column problem

Car talk thanks for the advice. But honestly… Y’all are trolls that need to get a new hobby. Insulting people isn’t exactly charming… Good luck and happy New Year! Children act like y’all. Grow up.

You need a lawyer, not a mechanic.

Sorry, but any suggestion from an anonymous user web site is worthless.

This is unfortunate but you made the problem worse by letting the vehicle set for 2 years when it became apparent the Hyundai was not going to repair it. The loan company was well within their rights when you canceled the insurance .

Mistake #1, You should have just payed to fix the car yourself and argued it with Hyundai for reimbursement.

Mistake #2, your loan contract says you must maintain full coverage, all the time. You didn’t so they repossessed the car. A broken car, that is worth very little at auction. IF they got enough to cover what you still owed, than that’s the end. If they got more, they might owe you a little. If they got less, in some states, you still owe them.

I am sorry for your situation. Contact a lawyer, but don’t expect too much.

1 Like

I understand that I’m not in the right in much of this situation, but I had the vehicle in a Hyundai dealership to fix the steering in 2015 and they wanted to charge me over $500 for 3 small bumpers. I tried to make this right with the finance company and Hyundai and they refused to do anything until I filed a complaint with NHSTA. I’ve financed many cars and have always paid them off in full. I understand a contract is my word, but why shouldn’t Hyundai keep their word?. Or the finance company that didn’t send my title from NC to PA to have it inspected and registered. I’m a law abiding citizen that refused to drive a vehicle unlawfully to a dealership to get it fixed… In the state of Pennsylvania you are required to have these papers to operate a motor vehicle. I requested my title be sent to Pennsylvania when we moved from NC and it was never sent after countless attempts to contact Wells Fargo Dealer Services to do so. I have a lawyer and plan to go forward with a lawsuit. I don’t want anyone’s charity. I just want these two companies to make it right after continuously not following through with their word.

Since you no longer own the vehicle it seems that your problems with Hyundai are over. They can’t offer you a repair or reimburse you for the repair that can’t be performed.

Did they give a reason? They may have been within their rights in not releasing the title, this is from the PA DMV site;

“Pennsylvania title procedures require that the out-of-state title be surrendered to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles when applying for a Pennsylvania title. The current lienholder of an out-of-state title may require that the vehicle owner refinance the balance of the outstanding lien through another lending institution and pay the out-of-state lienholder in full.

At that point…I would have tried another dealer.
Lastly I would have taken it to a independent mechanic and had the work done.
It may have cost $300 at an independent mechanic, but you would not have paid the insurance and payments on a car sitting in your driveway.


1 Like

So you are telling us this $500 argument with the dealer cost you an entire car?

If you engage a lawyer, they are going to tell you that you are going to lose since your actions, not the dealer nor Hyundai, caused your car to be repossessed. Sorry, just preparing you for what you are likely to hear.

1 Like

No legal expert here, but my sense is OP would be better off $$-wise to just accept what has happened as being something unfortunate, but no fault of their own given their personal situation, and move on. It sounds like OP ran into a cash flow problem, enough to pay the monthly loan payment and the insurance, but not those two AND a big repair bill. Suggest to budget $100-$200 a month or so for auto repair, save it up in a separate account for when you need it, then you’ll be prepared for this kind of situation going forward. It’s not always possible, of course, hard to justify holding onto $750 in that fund if you kid needs braces, but if you can put that into your budget it will make your car-ownership life simpler.

Why would the finance company (who owns the vehicle, not you) transfer the title to another state ?

You don’t need the title to transfer registration to another state, just the current registration that shows legal owner and registered owner.

I didn’t want the title in my possession, but the state of Pennsylvania requires a title be in their possession for registration and inspection. I’m only repeating what the PA DMV told me before I could legally drive it in Pennsylvania.

No they asked me to send them a letter requesting that the NC title be sent to PA so it could be registered and inspected. I did what they asked and they never sent the title. At this point my car payments were up to date and they had no reason to not send the title.

Yes they had a reason, the car wasn’t paid off, and they won’t release the title until it is.

You should have refinanced with another finance company to pay off the original loan.

Okay, I moved, I didn’t stop paying on my vehicle… Wow.!! Why is this so hard to grasp!? The financial institution should have sent my title and I continued to pay the original finance agreement and had full coverage on my vehicle for over 2 years and they never followed through. You obviously have trouble understanding things, but would rather argue. You all believe you’re right about something you would all be angry about if you tried to do everything by the book and got screwed in the end… for being a productive member of society just to have it thrown in your face. I have no reason to argue with anyone and especially over a situation you don’t know enough about. End of discussion. Thanks for the useless information and rather pathetic advice.
Conversation over.

@cdaquila – Carolyn , I think that means Jessica wants this thread closed .

It seems like when I’ve moved to a different state I’ve always had to have my vehicle’s title transferred from the old state to the new state as part of the registration process in the new state. The new state issues me a new title certificate in other words. I don’t recall the finance company got involved with that, but it seems like they’d have to, someway or the other. In any event the OP’s title transfer problem may have just been a paperwork snafu. W/ govt departments, finance companies, & insurance companies involved, pretty good chance of a paperwork problem.

Reminds me of the time a DMV from another state mailed me, out of the blue, a letter saying I owed them a fine for a traffic ticket on a car I owned. The problem with this theory is that my car had never been to that city. That city was hundreds of miles away, so you’d think I’d know if my car had ever been there. It took a lot of letters and phone calls before that got straightened out. I had absolute proof that I couldn’t have been in that city on the date the ticket was issued, which they finally accepted. And that was just a DMV; I’d probably still be writing letters if an insurance company or finance company was involved.

Also reminds me of an Orwellian scenario I had with my prior health insurance company. I needed them to transfer my file to the new health insurance company for review, before the new company would issue me health insurance. Despite my cajols and entreaties, they never would. The new health insurance company denied my application. So with no health insurance I decided to eat healthy & joined a gym. Silver lining. :wink:

It’s been a long time since I’ve had a vehicle that was financed, but I recall getting the title. It had the lien-holder listed on it. I got a new “clean” title at the DMV once the loan was payed and received a lien release from the bank. Is that not the way it works these days? :confused:

The title/lien process is different from state to state. In my state the lien holder keeps the title until the vehicle is paid off, the buyer receives a “DRS” (dealers report of sale) to take to the DMV to register the vehicle.

OTOH I have bought used cars with Arizona titles with the lien holder listed on the title and signed off by the bank.

The state of Pennsylvania uses an electronic title and lien recording process that is different than North Carolina.

That’s the way it is here also.
The lien holder is the legal owner and holds the title. The buyer is the registered owner until the lien is paid off, then the lien holder releases the title and transfers ownership of the car to the buyer.

Jessica hasnt been given any useful information other than insulting me and uneducated responses about something you know very little about… Research PA DMV… You need to have a legal inspection and paid registeration before you can get anything in this state. I even had issues obtaining my old PA license after moving to NC. Got my NC driving record (which costs money) to prove I have a squeaky clean driving record and I can once again obtain my PA driver’s license… Just sick of going through hoops for nothing… Some people get life handed to them. I don’t… and never have used the government assistance or any other assistance for anything… As a matter of fact I’ve worked 4 jobs at once to make sure I didn’t screw up my life. Fault me for that or just stop making comments that are ridiculous.