2011 Hyundai Sonata film on the inside of the windshield

I have a 2011 Sonata with 87,600 miles and it runs well! My issue with it is there’s some kind of film that develops on the inside of the windshield. I would assume it’s from the dashpad. And before you ask, there is nothing wet inside and/or in the carpet. It’s like a smudgy film. Is there anything I can do to prevent the film from coming back? It’s a headache having a cloudy film after cleaning the window every week or so. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

“dashpad”? do you mean dashboard?

Is there any smell associated with the film?

One possibility is that the heater core is leaking and the film is from antifreeze (coolant). Did you check your coolant level?

Note that inhaling antifreeze is bad for you, so get this checked.

1 Like

Maybe its time to replace the cabin air filter…thats your first line of defence against dirt in your windshield and cabin. I suppose your vehicule is equipped with one.

How long has this been going on? If you have seen it for most of the last 6 years, it is outgassed plasticizers from the dashboard. Dry newspaper seems to work well for removing it. You can also use a window cleaner solvent. Wet the paper towel/rag and then wipe the window.

If it is a short term problem, the heater core I should a good bet. Take it to a shop and have it checked out.

for 6 years, is that possible? (just curious)

1 Like

Sounds like “vinyl fog” is gathering on the inside of the windshield. Generated from the dash and the seats. Parking vehicle in the sun makes it worse. I don’t know of any remedy but to keep using elbow grease. I hate to clean the inside of a windshield. You might try the aerosal cans of “Invisible Glass” purchased from Walmart or an auto parts store. I use it and it is easy to use. Just spray the stuff on thick, then rub all over the glass, and then dry it off. I once went on a windshield cleaning tear and tried vinegar, amonia, plain water, and coca-cola. Invisible Glass was the easiest to use and did the best job.

Yes, it is possible. Outgassing keeps going until all the lightweight molecules diffuse to the surface and then leave. Heat increases the speed of the process. One way to slow the process is to use a sunscreen to cover the windshield while you are parked.

1 Like

Did you buy the car used? Did the dealer use Armorall on the dashboard?
That too is a possible source.

1 Like

I’m leaning towards armorall . . . as mountainbike mentioned . . . or a heater core

Thanks y’all. It’s more likely the dashboard is causing it because I’ve noticed it gets worse in the warm/hot months. It doesn’t develop as much during the cold months. I think I’ll try that invisible glass thing and use a sunscreen shade.

So no smell of coolant?

Have you checked your coolant level?

No smell of coolant and the coolant level has not dropped at all.