2011 Honda Civic diagnostic difficulty

The Honda civic is sporadically having the problem in which the headlights do not turn on and the dashboard display reads zero on the speedometer as well as having nothing else show up on the display. These issues all happen at the same time. The car was brought to a dealership but we were told that the issue can only be diagnosed when it is happening. Unfortunately there’s no way to determine when the problem will show up and the display has gone back to normal en route to the dealership when we have been on our way there before. So, I was wondering what is the best way to get this resolved. Was wondering if I should rent an on board diagnostic tool so that I could catch the issue while it was occurring and not have to wait to go to the dealership again.

I’m not aware of any on board diagnostic tool that would provide you with an answer. I would suggest going back to the dealer, reminding them of the intermittent nature of the problem, and asking that they have one of their techs drive the car until the problem recurs. The dealer may have an arrangement with Enterprise where you can rent a car for the duration of this process.

1 Like

Thanks for your response to my question. Sorry I took a while to get back to you to thank you. I’ll talk to the dealership and say what you suggested. Hopefully it’ll get resolved that way.

Good luck.