2011 Ford F150 turbo life expectancy

wanting to buy a 2011 f150 3.5L. 170K mi
need to know approx life of turbos.
any info/guesses ?

You are looking at a 7 year old vehicle . The life of a Turbo can not be determined because past history is a factor.

2 Likes

Here’s what one website says. Can’t speak to how biased this info is, but it is one benchmark at least.

"EcoBoost F-150 Reliability & Longevity

Both the 2.7L and 3.5L EcoBoost F-150 engine were built to last just like all of Ford’s products. While there is no definitive amount of mileage for how long an EcoBoost engine can or will last, especially a modded one, there has been growing information on how current ones are doing based on independent research. Some forum users have seen as high as 200,000 miles on the odometer with no issues outside of the regular maintenance and replacing your typical parts.

While mileage in the hundreds of thousands may not be the case 100% for all owners, EcoBoost F-150 owners have seemed to have no issue adding an intake, tune, and exhaust and still seeing stock like reliability and longevity out of their trucks. A lot of this comes down to the quality of the tune, but it is still a testament to the build quality of EcoBoost F-150s."

https://www.americantrucks.com/everything-about-the-ecoboost-f150.html

Another idea, OP can use the forum’s search feature to find prior threads on this topic. I don’t recall there being very many. Click on the icon above right that looks like a magnifying glass, and search all forums.

I remember when they were first announced and all the naysayers were predicting a turbocharger apocalypse, predicting that the turbos would pack up after maybe 3 years. Turns out the Ecoboost V6 holds up fine. I know a few people with them, and have no problems with the turbos failing prematurely.

That’s not to say there aren’t some caveats, due to the direct injection, the intake valves sometimes get carbon’d up and to correct that, the heads have to come off and media-blasted with walnut shells. Also real world fuel economy is only slightly better than the 5.0L V8 when unloaded, and slightly worse when towing. The newer F-150’s have both port and direct fuel injection for the Ecoboost engines and the coyote V8 as well, which fixes the carbon build up problem.

It is kinda funny how concerned people in North America are still about turbo engines. Hey, you forgot that the Ecoboosts are developed by a German plant, they do nothing else than developing engines for different car makers. Probably THE engine developer. And the companies they build the turbos, are building turbos for decades. What ever the rumours is, as long you maintain your motor properly, and not treat it badly, it will outlast every American made engine of the same caliber.

Nonsense ,

2 Likes

I saw 150k miles mentioned at one time for the manufacturer designed life expectancy of the turbos. I’ve also seen that stated for the life expectancy of an entire engine, though. And many exceed that. I don’t remember where I heard / read that.

If you’re buying something with 170k miles, be prepared to replace something. Turbo, timing chain, transmission. Something will die. Not necessarily the turbos, though.

1 Like