2011 CR-V getting 50% less MPGs?

Doesnā€™t bad fuel economy imply reduced MPG? What am I missing?

WOT = wide open throttle. A dirty air filter simulates having the throttle partially closed.

1 Like

Thanksā€¦ I stand correctedā€¦ page 26 ā€¦ā€œDespite the filter restrictions, however, no significant changes in fuel economy were observed.ā€

Interesting, but I only skimmed over it.

Makes sense now. You are correct.

[quote=ā€œkurtwm2010, post:25, topic:105416, full:trueā€]
Makes sense now. You are correct.
[/quote]For those of us who grew up in the age of carburetors, this fact is a little surprising

1 Like

Any diagnostic codes? Check for unusual tire wear; do one or more of the wheels seem unusually hot after a drive? Does the dash coolant temperature gauge needle reside lower than it used to, indicating the engine is never reaching proper operating temperature? If thereā€™s any question about the coolant temp be correct once the engine warms up, remove and check the thermostat in a heated water bath, or just replace it. If the radiator fans are stuck on all the time thatā€™s another possibility. A slight drop in operating coolant temperature can have a big effect on mpg.

Just so ya know, on Imgur the ā€œnext pictureā€ takes you to a random picture from a random person, so whatever you learned most likely was not about OP. :wink:

Whatever . . .

But the fact remains that there is way more stuff than we need or want to know

A simple screen shot . . . and nothing else . . . would have sufficed

ā€¦ I am old ā€¦ :sob::cry:

@cdaquila Carolyn, you might want to edit the picture at the start of this thread. DB is correct, doesnā€™t really need to be here.

1 Like

Hi. I donā€™t think I can edit the picture because itā€™s a link to an image-sharing site created by the OP.

I think you might be forgetting that the OP [quote=ā€œjonathanyoung29, post:1, topic:105416ā€]
ā€¦put only about 6k miles in 3 yearsā€¦
[/quote]

Yes, in terms of mileage, that could definitely be true, but this vehicle either does a lot of sitting or gets a lot of short-mileage use.

What Iā€™d like to know is how @jonathanyoung29 is measuring and calculating fuel economy, and whether the OP has ruled out fuel theft/siphoning.

No, I didnā€™t forget that, but for a mechanic at a dealership to tell a customer that a 6-year-old Honda with fewer than 60k miles on it is ā€œoldā€ is asinine and automatic evidence that the dealership is either incompetent or crookedā€¦ Or both.

He says later on that heā€™s using the mileage display in the car. Heā€™s already been told the proper method. :wink:

And folks, not to be a complete boor here, but if you donā€™t like the pictures you see when clicking links on image hosting sites, donā€™t clickā€¦

1 Like

fairly simple. fill tank with gas.
drive XX miles.
fill tank again.
miles/gallons equals miles per gallon
lets say you were hi/lo by 1 gal during your fill tabulation
that wont affect a full tank of gas calculations. maybe 5%?

I would start by checking the air filter to see how dirty it is. If it have never been changed, you are overdue. Then there is another possibility. Yes, the ECU does compensate fuel mixture by using data from the oxygen sensors. These usually last longer than your mileage but I would replace any UPSTREAM from the cat and see what happens. I have seen these fail and not trigger a code. The only time I have seen a code triggered is when something flew up from the road and severed the harness completely.

The fact that you had to have the cat replaced would make me consider an emissions problem for sure. A clogged air filter combined with a bad O2 sensor could cause this issue.

Was this vehicle or is this vehicle consuming engine oil? The manufacturer made some of these (2010 that Iā€™m aware of) that had sticking rings that caused oil burning.
CSA

Is this the temp from the OBD readout? The dash gauge might be wrong.

In 2014 I had a customer bring his Honda Odyssey in for poor mileage complaint. I scanned the data and found 1 bad Cat O2 and 1 bad cat. Also a no codes complaint. The customer later told me he had been to 2 Honda dealers and 3 independents, and bought 1 transmission rebuild. Six months after our recommendations, I called to verify diagnosis. He said the mileage was back to normal. You need a really good tech to scan the data. Look at fuel trims and all the O2 signals. The cat O2 signal must be low and not moving and not high . If its moving or high the cat is bad. Hope this helps