2011 Buick Enclave Engine Light

Engine light came on, fuel gauge went to zero, and mileage left went to zero. Is it safe to keep driving? Any ideas what is wrong? I will try to get to a dealer but had planned on taking my kids skiing tomorrow.
Thanks.

As long as you don’t have an oil pressure warning light or a charging system warning light lit up in addition to the Check Engine Light, you are… probably…okay to drive it.

As long as the Check Engine Light is steadily illuminated, rather than flashing/blinking, you are…probably… okay to drive it.

However, my “probably” statements are not a guarantee.

If I were you, I would check all fluid levels, and I would make sure that the fuel filler cap is properly tightened. And, then I would cancel my plans for a ski trip and make sure that I was at the dealership when they open their service bay doors tomorrow.

The good news is that whatever is causing the CEL to light up will be covered by warranty–as long as you are not considered to be negligent. Since driving the car for an extended period of time with the CEL lit up could possibly be considered negligent enough to deny a warranty claim, I would suggest erring on the side of caution. There will always be another opportunity for the kids to go skiing.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Joseph–Normally, I would agree with you, but not in this situation.

Since any conceiveable repair that might be needed will be at GM’s expense, I would recommend that the OP just proceed, post-haste, to a GM dealer for free repair and diagnosis in one stop. Even if he was to obtain the codes from an auto parts retailer, the dealership will still need to go through the diagnostic protocol prescribed by GM, and–most important of all–they will ignore the results of whatever an auto parts retailer might find.

What you have suggested is an extra step that is not only not necessary, but will not result in any different outcome (with a fully-warrantied car) than if he skips the visit to the auto parts store.

The fact that the fuel gauge and mileage indicators have also malfunctioned points to some sort of computer problem…The “BCM” perhaps…No GM dealers open on Sunday, can the car be driven?? Probably…

Since any conceiveable repair that might be needed will be at GM’s expense, I would recommend that the OP just proceed, post-haste, to a GM dealer for free repair and diagnosis in one stop.

I guess I should have read the title where it list the model year.  ;-)