2011 BMW X5 - Burns oil

I have the same issue with my 2011 X5 burning oil. It drinks oil like it’s water. I have to carry two quarts of oil in my truck and add the two quarts per week. I figure out if I leave the truck in park to warm up then it burns more oil. Now my bushels are going bad and need to have them replace. I wanted to get rid of the vehicle a year ago but my husband love this truck. Now I cannot afford to purchase another truck because of my job situation. I use to purchase a new BMW truck every three years. I will never purchase another BMW nothing.

I did not know that BMW made a truck .

For some reason BMWs don’t like certain brands of oil. Try the actual BMW oil or there is one other brand that escapes me now-Shell maybe.

1 Like

+1
Is the OP sure that the required European-specification oil has been used in her BMW “truck”?

If the oil changes have been done at a quicky-lube place, I can virtually guarantee that this special type of oil wasn’t used, and even if an indy mechanic did the oil changes, there is a possibility that the correct-spec oil wasn’t used.

The article linked below provides a good explanation, even though it exists primarily to promote the sale of an Amsoil product:
https://ultimatesyntheticoil.com/american-engine-oils-harmful-to-european-engines

However, there are other oils besides this Amsoil product that meet the necessary specifications:

Castrol and Mobil 1 sell oils that meet the specs of european auto manufacturers

… as is verified by the second link that I posted!
:grinning:

which I didn’t bother to read
:frowning_face:

Do you mean steering and suspension system bushings? Or engine bearings? If it is the former, that’s not a big deal to fix. If engine bearings need replacement, yeah, that’s a big, very expensive problem.

There certainly are vehicles available that are less expensive to purchase, maintain, and repair than BMW’s. But most folks posting here owning BMW’s seem to quite like them.

I’m speaking of the steering suspension bushing. I normally do not keep my BMW vehicles long. I’ve owned this one a little longer than I have intended. I go to BMW for oil changes and use there oil in between changes. But the changes are expensive because I need to add oil every other week depending on how I drive my truck.

It’s entirely possible that you were not doing oil changes often enough and that is what led to the oil consumption issue. It’s a very common malady.

That’s so cute, calling an x5 a truck. At best it’s a station wagon with all wheel drive.
Is this a truck too. :scream:

Okay, then we can rule-out incorrect-spec oil as the source of the problem.

+1
If the correct oil was used, as claimed, then the only possibilities–as I see them–are oil change intervals that are too long, or defective engine design.
:thinking:

I’d say it could be called a “truck”.

Oxford English Dictionary: “A motor vehicle for carrying goods, troops, etc., by road. Cf. lorry n. 1b orig. U.S.”

According to OED, the word “truck” first appeared in print in 1916 in The Daily Colonist BC, Canada

“truck” isn’t the usual word used for that vehicle in the UK, home of the OED, so take all this w/a grain of salt*. The usual word in the UK is “lorry”. It’s interesting that “truck” ended up the word in America and “lorry” ended up the word in the UK.

• “Grain of salt” first used in 1290 AD.

Well, that covers everything from a powered skateboard to an Aussie road train.

1 Like

Found some more info about the origin of the word “truck”. Likely started at the Latin trochus (iron hoop), next Greek trokhos (wheel) and trekhein (to run), then as truck to a hand cart for carrying heavy loads, finally as the motorized vehicle we know today as a truck. I wonder if there were any horse drawn carts or wagons that were called “trucks”?

OK, so this Geo Metro is also a “truck”. I bought it for fun on the farm but it was in such bad shape and so poorly done it got turned into a parts car for another Geo Metro and then cut up and hauled off as scrap metal to get rid of it. It was basically crap. One of the main reasons was that it was DRINKING oil because it hadn’t been changed and cutting the rear hatch out basically channel rain into the underbody and it was terribly rusted out.

You may wonder how this relates to a BMW. Geo Metros actually last a while if the oil is changed. Many treat them as a disposable car and this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when they are abused and neglected. Those who want them to last run a EUROPEAN SPEC oil meeting more stringent specs to prevent stuck rings and such. I personally run a Mobil 1 0W40 European meeting MB and BMW specs to keep the engines clean.

You might make sure you have a Euro spec oil. Also make sure the PCV valve is clean and not gunked up. Replace it if needed.

Another tip is to make sure the oil is clean/full and drive the thing like you stole it! Rev it up and drive it hard. IF you put around town with a performance car, the rings tend to stick. Give it all it has got!

I did this for someone with a Cadillac Northstar and it greatly helped but didn’t eliminate the oil consumption problem. This is a high performance engine but is commonly not loaded as it is driven to the grocery store or church.

I believe the correct term for this is “trucklet”.

This is trucking, too…

IMG_0093

2 Likes

As is this … :slight_smile:

Truckin’ by The Grateful Dead

Truckin’ got my chips cashed in. Keep truckin’, like the do-dah man
Together, more or less in line, just keep truckin’ on.

1 Like

The Grateful Dead, Mr. Natural; all of the same era.