2011-2014 Sonata Theta II engine: Advice

I think the value of the car you can get now is already pretty low… I think the warranty period is good enough option for you to keep the car based on the mileage rate of yours…

This reminds me of a co-worker who informed the manager that he’d be leaving the company in 3 months. The manager smiled and said “You’re the only staff member I know who’s going to be here for that long!” … lol …

My advice, keep driving your Hyundai for the first 100K. Play it by ear after that.

1 Like

A few comments about Hyundai and the lawsuit.
Hyundai states that the engines MIGHT have failed because of metal debris during assembly.
There should be no “MIGHT” to this.

With a trashed engine how are they to know that debris is from the assembly process or from the wiped engine run low on oil or never having the oil changed regularly.

Second point. After facing legalities from some attorneys it could be that Hyundai chose to do what most choose to do when faced with something like this. It’s more cost effective to settle and cough up a few engines rather than face a jury of 12 Get The Deep Pockets people who will decide the owner of that Hyundai deserves 50 million dollars for their grief.

Much like the jury in FL some years ago who awarded a guy 150 million dollars for his lung cancer which was caused by smoking. The decades of continuing to chain smoke after being told repeatedly by physicians to quit didn’t seem to matter one bit.

I agree not to get too excited about class action lawsuits. Tort law is so screwed up that there are lawyers (many o f them) who do nothing but tort law. Basically, they take a minor incident and create an entire monster out of it, solely to get huge gobs of money for themselves. Ralph Nader, the self-serving clod that he is, has built an entire “Tort Law Museum”. He’s built a very, very lucrative career exploiting the weaknesses of the tort law system. He, and other tort lawyers, seem to be able to make a simple spilled drink sound like an earth-destroying nuclear disaster.

Very true. There was the lawsuit by a Nigerian man a few years ago about Closeup toothpaste I believe it was.
The commercials showed women being attracted to a man who used that brand of toothpaste.

He used it and discovered women were not throwing themselves at him. He also attempted to kiss his female boss which got him slapped.
He even beat up his 5 year old nephew for tampering with his tube of toothpaste.

So what did he do? Sued the toothpaste manufacturer for “cheating and mental distress”.

I hadn’t heard that one but it is hard for people not from the US to adjust to our norms and customs sometimes. He should have been fired for trying to kiss her.

OK4450, I like that story. It’s very illustrative of how bad out tort law system has become.
I’ll have to apologize to everyone for being the one who took the thread subject off on a tangent.

But, to the OP, ignore the lawsuit as an indicator of your car’s likely longevity. Maintain it well, change the oil and other fluids more often than necessary if it gives you a sense of security (fluids can never be too fresh, only too old), keep the maintenance up as required, and drive on with confidence that you’ve done everything necessary to get long and reliable service from your car.

Life’s too short to worry about things that aren’t likely to happen, and doing the preventative stuff above will greatly enhance your odds of long and reliable service.

I fully agree with mountainbike. Change the oil very regularly, check the oil level on a regular basis, and do not worry about the engine.

My gut feeling is that if you do this the engine and the car will outlive your desire to keep it.

While there may be a legitimate basis now and then for an automotive lawsuit, in most cases they’re simply people who won’t face the fact that they were the ones who contributed to the demise of the car. There is never a shortage of lawyers willing to bring suit against any individual or business with money in their pockets.

Congress passed a tort reform bill back during the Clinton administration. That worked out well…