2010 Subaru Impreza - ticking engine

I have a 2010 Impreza, less than 140k. Transmission is has been replaced, and head gaskets done less than 14k miles ago. Lat oil change was less than 1500 mi ago. Currently getting a ticking in the engine. Mechanic thinks either valves or bearings. What years are interchangeable with a 2010 impreza, no turbo, if I do need to replace it?

Whoa, don’t get ahead of yourself. I suggest you take it to a different mechanic. I think your engine has valves that may require periodic adjustment.

1 Like

He has not put it on the lift yet, only taken it for a test drive. Trying to figure out where all the oil is going if it is not leaking out the bottom

Maybe the valve lash should be checked. This SHOULD have been done when the head gaskets were replaced.
That procedure should be done every 30k miles although I’m fully aware that Subaru may not recommend it and many will say that it is unnecessary.

I would not get too wound up at this point over the thought of another engine. Bearings won’t tick but loose valve lash certainly can.

This is different than your first statement. How low was the oil? How much is it using, miles per quart?
Again, I question the skill of your mechanic.

2 Likes