2010 Subaru Forester - Rear bearings

@oldtimer-11, clearly you remember the days when the wheel bearing had to be re-greased about the time of the annual tune up and replaced every 40-50k miles. Sealed bearings made a huge difference didn’t they.

Tell me about any warranty extensions, I’m all ears.

Yes it is. I guess I apply logic here. One wheel bearing goes bad on what I would call early (before 100k miles in most cases) and I only do that one. Last time I replaced wheel bearings was on my Silverado. I didn’t get any warnings or noise at all and then just two houses down the road, the front wheel almost came off from a wheel bearing that was only dust.

200k+ miles and high offset aftermarket wheels, I decided to replace both. Bought two new hubs, replaced the bad one first. Pulled the other one only to find that it had just been replaced by the previous owner right before I bought the truck a few months earlier. Since I had it out, I replaced it anyways because I really didn’t trust the quality of parts that the previous owner put in, especially when he was just doing it to sell it.

Here is a warranty extension for 2005-2006 vehicles;

Dang, mines a 2014 with 106k. I’m starting to hear the sound of worn wheel bearings. Based on the swerve test, it’s both rear wheels.

-I used to regrease the wheel bearings every time I inspected the brakes, usually every 2 years. I never had to replace more than one wheel bearing on a car, but that was probably a function of how quickly cars died from rust in our area in the old days. There were good reasons people used to trade in cars every three years.