2010 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Rust problem

I’ve wondered at times how I would find living in Mississippi? It seems like a pretty good place to live, on the surface anyway. They have palm trees, right? Not sure about the nitty gritty details though. One advantage, grits, which I quite like. If my grits-for-every-meal-dream as such worked out, I’d then besides smiling with a belly full of grits every day, I’d be on the receiving end of the subsidies, instead of the paying end.

If you have any sense of social justice (and I believe you do) i don’t think you’d be happy there.

1 Like

Make sure your home has a tornado shelter. They will be a lot more frequent than the earthquakes you experience in San Jose. The good news is the effects aren’t as widespread as earthquakes are normally. Also take all tornado warnings seriously.

I worked on a project with people in Huntsville AL. One of them was a real jokester, almost never serious. One day I asked if he had a hide-hole for tornadoes. He ignored my joke and deadpanned yes and he always went in with his family when the warnings came in. It was a complete change in his personality.

We have had a few towns leveled in Minnesota and south Dakota but rarely have multiple deaths, but most have basements or community shelters. Problem down south is fewer basements.

1 Like

Fun fact (not really lol) Tennessee has the highest nighttime Tornados … Makes watching for them more fun when you can’t see them… Not…

Multiple Tornados have hit with in a 1/8 to 1/4 mile from our house some closer more than once…As well as I have been close to many that did a lot of damage while working or driving around They are scary…

1 Like

If you decide to move there, I strongly suggest that you avoid the city of Jackson, which is one of the most dangerous urban areas in the entire US.

For the second consecutive year, Jackson, Mississippi has the highest murder rate in the entire US–approximately 4 times the national average. Certain segments of the media continually tell us how dangerous Chicago and NYC are, but the violent crime rate in both of those cities pales by comparison with Jackson, Mississippi.

3 Likes

Yeah wouldn’t be my first choice. When I drove through there I was cautioned by a gas station owner where I should not stop for any reason. I thought it was southern courtesy to a yank and appreciated it. I drove through Alabama this year and outside of a portion of Montgomery, didn’t see much of a problem. In general though I wasn’t impressed with the place. I think Arkansas might be an option. I understand the north and south regions are quite different in culture.

Can we please get back to cars? Thank you.

I spent a Sunday in Jackson Miss on a GM car test trip a number of years ago. Everything was closed on Sunday! Blue laws.

Nice looking state but if you want palm trees, I don’t remember seeing any. Too far north. Similar to north Florida or southern Alabama.

Every state has hazards. If not tornados, then earthquakes, or fires or blizzards or hurricanes. Some you get no early warning for, some a little, some days in advance. Some you can drive away from, some turn your cars into floaty toys or scrap metal!

2 Likes

Funny story, on trip from San Jose to Colorado I go through Utah. Nice place. I’m thinking I’d like to enjoy a beer later in the day, at the motel, so stop at a Walmart to buy a 6-pack and some potato chips. Yummy, nothing finer than that for a snack. I put the two items on the check-out conveyer belt. Clerk looks at what I’m buying like she’s never seen anything like that before, almost in a state of shock … lol… turns out it was Sunday and selling beer not allowed.

To make things even more bizarre, a customer says he saw what happened, and that I could still buy a 6-pack if I drove 45 miles out of my way to another town … lol … says he does it all the time. I said “nah, I’m not driving 45 miles just for a beer, I’ll just wait until tomorrow”!

Do you think that fellow actually drives 45 miles to buy beer? I mean he knows the local rules & could just buy it on Saturday.

I thought I saw some palm tree right along the coast, on tv news some years ago when they were broadcasting about that big hurricane that hit the Alabama coast/New Orleans area.

Unfortunately, I doubt op will return to let us know what they decided to do with the car

If it were MY car and it was in excellent shape aside from the rear subframe, I’d install a new or good used subframe and have several more years of use out of the car

2 Likes

Just curious, how many hours would that take you, about? Once you had secured the part I mean. Is it something an experienced diy’er could do in their driveway? Or is that job impractical without a lift?

It could be done in a driveway, but it’s by no means a quick job

You’d definitely need a proper spring compressor, though, imo

1 Like

I actually don’t remember if it was Texas or north or South Carolina anymore but it was a dry county. But you could pay a dollar to become a club member, then it was ok. In high school I had lunch next to the department store owner and bragged how he was going to make sure Minnesota didn’t do away with the blue laws. Too bad he lost some years ago. You still can’t buy a car on Sunday because the dealers don’t want to be open.

A few years ago they allowed liquor stores to be open. I was polishing my cars in a hot garage on Sunday and wanted a mikes hard lemonade. Went down to the store and found out they were all closed on Sunday. I had no idea. Just had a cold coke instead. Pretty silly. Fact is it’s the interest groups themselves that want to stay closed to save money.

Sounds like a fine area to search for a crossmember. I don’t understand why the Car Complaints people don’t register with Car Talk and join the conversation. You guys like to discuss death, taxes, army days and how to stay drunk on Sundays.

1 Like

This is a Car Talk forum, right? Ray & Tom discussed way more on their radio show than just car parts. That made the show more interesting, more listeners. If they had only discussed car parts, boring show, & there would be no forum. It’s a compromise. It’s not possible to repair a car via the internet anyway, or by listening to a radio show, at best some ideas and theories.

3 Likes

No, Sunday is the first day of the week and you get drunk on Sunday then stay drunk the rest of the week. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I find it is very hard to get drunk on one beer a day … lol …

Yeah i do about a six pack of mikes a year but the buzz seems to last. Maybe it’s not the mikes.

1 Like

Get a 1 gallon growler filled with an imperial IPA and knock that off in one day. I’m not sure I could do that in a week.