2010 Insight be a Family Car?

Consists of 2 adults weighting under 155 lbs (under 5’ 8") and 2 kids?

Would this be sufficient for perhaps once a yr interstate trips?

What do you think?

There is Accord Crossover:

http://www…486f6e6461

I like the concept but not its only AWD and a V6. Taurus is doing V8 power on V6 engine, why can’t Honda do V6 power on 4 Cyls?

Also Accord has grown fat trying to compete with the failing(!) US automakers!

Thanks

Insight is too small for a family of 4 road trip. CRV?

I have stayed away from CRV or RDX as they are on a truck platform and there is a rollover issue - pls correct me if I am wrong.

They’re not trucks, I believe they’re built on an extensively-modified Civic chassis. And rollover is not an issue, they have stability control. Rollover is not an issue for most car-based crossovers these days.

Of course it’s large enough. It has 15.9 cu ft of luggage space and theAccord has only 14 cu ft. Go test drive one with the family in tow and see how well you all fit.

“…why can’t Honda do V6 power on 4 Cyls?”

They already do. The 4-cyl used in the Civic and Accord has the power of a few V6s.

“Also Accord has grown fat trying to compete with the failing(!) US automakers!”

Of course they did, and so has every other auto maker that has been here for a while. Even newcomers like Hyundai and Kia sell larger cars now. The Accord used to be a small car. When it got a bit larget, they brought out the Civic for the small car market. Now that the Civic is a mid-size car and the Accord is a large car, the Fit is the new compact. They don’t want to lose their aging customers, so they provide a car that they know and like. How long has Toyota had the full-size Avalon? Your implication that this is a problem is ridiculous.

As Texases said, those models are NOT built on “a truck chassis”, and are in reality, crossover vehicles based on a sedan–in this case, the Civic sedan.

Also, if I am interpreting your post correctly, you are not eager to have an AWD vehicle.
That means that the CR-V might be ideal for you, as it normally runs as a FWD drive vehicle, and its AWD function only kicks in after the front wheels start to spin.

While that type of AWD system is not what many people are seeking in an AWD vehicle due to its less-capable behavior on wintery roads, it does have the advantage of boosting your gas mileage a bit over comparable size vehicles whose AWD is constantly engaged. And, if you don’t really want an AWD vehicle, you can take comfort in the fact that the CR-V is usually not an AWD vehicle.

You say “Your implication that this is a problem is ridiculous” - ridiculous is your opinion about my thoughts and not a fact and therefore I desire you keep it to yourself - Had you said, you don’t agree with me, I would have had no issues with it.

So instead of making it bigger, why not introduce something big like Avalon for Toyo?

Civics don’t have a 5dr hatch or station wagon or Civic Crossover either. It feels flimsy.

When posting, its easy to omit info which can mislead people - I feel that we should be straight to the point w/o attacking a person.

I won’t be following this thread.

The Honda Insight is smaller than Civic both inside and out. The Civic is not large enough (In my estimation) to be considered a famaily car. Both the Insight and Civic are economy cars. I would not want to be in either one with three other people for any length of time.

The Taurus SHO utilizes two turbochargers to make it’s 365 HP. Traditionally Honda has shunned forced induction for their passenger cars. IIRC only one current vehicle in the current Honda/Acura lineup uses a turbocharged gasoline engine.

What’s so terrible about a V6 engine in a mid-sized car? In the Accord the four cylinder gets ONE mile per gallon better than the V6. It’s not a big issue.

The CRV used to be based on the Civic platform, but the current Civic is a “crossover” vehicle, which means it probably no longer shares a platform with another vehicle. I still don’t think it is on a truck platform. It is probably more like a minivan platform now.

The “Civic Crossover” is the CRV.

There is very little detail on the Crosstour. It may have a 4-cylinder engine.

I think an Insight could work as family car. I have an '03 Civic and the trunk is big and the back seat has plenty of space, especially if the fronts seats are not all the way back. I looked at an Insight and the back seat looked pretty good, definately enough room for 2 kids.

It is really a matter of how you pack and how much stuff you feel compelled to take with you. If you have to take a big stroller, or another big item then the trunk space will not do. I remember day when families didn’t have to have a mini van or a truck based SUV to take a trip. Yet, station wagons of various sizes were common too.

I’d love a Civic wagon, or 5 door hatchback, perhaps someday Honda will bring it back. Mazda as a hatchback, Saab has always had hatchbacks and they are immensely sensible cars as far a interior room and cargo carrying. I don’t think you need a CRV or SUV if you have kids. If a family wants to get decent mpg they’ll have to figure out how to take trips in smaller fuel efficient cars.

They maybe based on the Civic but they get horrible mpg, nothing like a Civic. My son has an Element and is happy with it. It uses the Civic SI engine and the mpg isn’t very good at all. These are still boxy truck like bodies with poor aerodynamics, more weight, and substantially less mpg than the sedans they were derived from.

Hey Folks, The Show Is Over, You Can All Go Home. Scionf Got His / Her Feelings Hurt And Left The Area. You Must Have Missed The Following.

You say “Your implication that this is a problem is ridiculous” - ridiculous is your opinion about my thoughts and not a fact and therefore I desire you keep it to yourself - Had you said, you don’t agree with me, I would have had no issues with it.

When posting, its easy to omit info which can mislead people - I feel that we should be straight to the point w/o attacking a person.

I won’t be following this thread.

CSA

Yeah, I saw that. I figure she/he will keep reading from the sidelines without posting.