2010 Honda CR-V - Emissions worry

Hello and happy new year to everyone.

I recently purchased a 2010 crv lx with 69000 miles it seemingly had zero problems. Until yesterday I took it to the shop around the corner for NJ state inspection and failed! Both the catalytic converter and ev emissions tests came up not ready. They said to drive it around and come back in a couple of days? I don’t know what to do

Don’t fret. This is a real thing. There is nothing wrong. You just need to do exactly what you were told. By any chance, did you recently also jump start the vehicle? Sometimes that clears the data in the vehicle’s memory and the emissions test cannot be completed until new data is compiled.

+1
Additionally… Why is the OP paying a shop for his/her NJ state inspection?
If you go to an inspection station run by the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission, there is no fee.

And make sure the car is thoroughly warmed up before you go for the next inspection!

To reset the readiness monitors, a drive cycle should performed.

Sometimes it requires more than one drive cycle to get all the monitors to reset.

OBD-II Drive Cycle
(Taken from Understanding OBDII: Past, Present & Future)
The OBD-II drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below
122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees
of one another).

NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the
heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half
    minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBD-II checks oxygen sensor heater
    circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.

2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half
    throttle. OBD-II checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.
    Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. OBD-II monitors
    EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.

3. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the
    clutch. OBD-II checks EGR and purge functions.

4. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at half throttle. OBD-II checks misfire,
    fuel trim and purge again.

5. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. OBD-II monitors
    catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and
    purge functions.

6. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBD-II makes a final
    check of EGR and canister purge.

Tester

If your battery was disconnected is one possible explanation for the not ready codes. It may even be time to get your battery checked, free at may auto parts stores.

1 Like

I take it you did not buy it from a dealer otherwise it would have been inspected when you bought it .

The only thing I have done to the car is change the wipers. Also I went to the shop because it was faster and more convenient also I could take my puppy

Okay I will try next time I’m on the highway

I didn’t know this could be a problem, the car was only on for 5 minutes before I took it in

To make sure that the car is thoroughly warmed up to you drive with the heater on?

That is nonsence, an On Board Diagnostic monitor system check will check the monitor status in the computer’s memory, the monitors need to pass before the inspection. This has nothing to do with the engine temperature.