2010 Honda Accord - trouble starting after adding a subwoofer

We recently added a sub woofer at Best Buy and now the car has issues starting, it always starts but it takes a minute

What type of starting problem are you now having? My guess is that the engine does not turn over fast enough now…as if you had a discharged battery?

Your answer to my initial question will affect the direction of the troubleshooting…but I am thinking that your Sub is not wired properly and stays on all night…or all the time… which will drain your battery and make your starter sound slow and or cause hard starting.

A test would be to disconnect the new Sub…charge your battery using a battery charger and then use the vehicle as normal…it should be fine after that…and if it is…it means your sub is staying powered up constantly. My guess is that they didn’t install it properly…used the wrong trigger wire…or something along those lines. I have seen unbelievably bad ideas in electrical wiring come out of the Car Audio crowd of people and I was the idiot who got to clean up the mess.

4 Likes

We recently added a sub woofer at Best Buy and now the car has issues starting, it always starts but it takes a minute
For best amplifiers click here

Your stereo setup might be draining to much current.
How did you connect the sub? Is your stereo on when you turn the key?
As stated, disconnect the sub to test.

How big is the sub and did you also put in an amp for the rest of the speakers? What is the total size in watts of the amps installed? It is possible that you are discharging the battery while driving because the alternator isn’t big enough.

It is also possible that it got wired to a circuit that stays hot during the starter cycle which would lower the battery voltage to the starter and ignition circuits even if the battery is fully charged.