2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid electrical motor comes on less; mileage dropped

Does that go for any brand? Do you think the battery would continue to function properly for several/many years or are you factoring in any necessary battery work/replacement/cell replacement? I’m curious and would like your opinion.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

If I was buying a used Hybrid, it would be a Toyota

It appears that you’re slamming hybrids in general . . . and you haven’t made it sufficiently clear why that is the case, at least in my opinion

Well, I don’t feel like discussing this further with you, because I feel the discussion would get nowhere

I’m not attacking you . . . I’m just saying I feel the discussion would be unproductive for all involved

1 Like

I have the same problem. The battery in my 2010 Mercury Milan has gone from 38-39 miles per gallon down to 30-31 recently. The battery charges fine , in fact it is usually close to fully charged. Is my problem the same or do I have a different problem?
Thank you.
Phil

It sounds like you have the exact problem I had, described above. The Ford programming is reducing the power from the battery. I reset the age of the battery, my mpgs went back up.

Well, I did the big reset (to 1 yr) as outlined at fordfusionhybridforum. Worked like a charm. Back to GREAT milage. Yes, the only concern is will the battery and car then rapidly die because it wasn’t designed to operate past 10 yrs.? What kind of deal is that, FORD?
The battery seems quite healthy (at 100,000 mi). It charges/decharges properly in the zone (or levels) it should. Going downhill, etc. I can get a FULL charge easily. I mean 100%.
Why would FORD or anyone suggest that the “fix” could be bad for the battery? Before the fix, due to not using EV so much, it often STAYED near 90 to 100% at times. From what I know about NiCd batteries, it is NOT good to not have more variable charge cycles. That is, ya need to cycle the battery through a moderate range (at least) constantly. That means, if we run the car without the fix for very long, the battery really will lose its viability. I got a local dealer to admit that principle. But, they refused to touch the car. What a mess!!

I’ve always thought that “hybrid” is a misnomer when describing a particular type of car.

In nature, hybrid plants and hybrid animals are crossbreeds that inherit good traits from the “parent” organisms. The new individual is an improvement over the originals.

I cars, a hybrid is actually not so much a crossbreed as it is 2 cars combined. One car had ICE propulsion and the other had EV propulsion. They are combined in a new unit called a “hybrid”.
These vehicles offer good characteristics from both propulsion concepts. But, they are not hybrids, rather they are “combos.”

The bad part of these vehicles is that since they 2 complete propulsion systems, rather than one hybrid one, and are susceptible to problems from both systems.

I believe the label “hybrid” is a marketing ploy, but I’m afraid it misleads some people into buying them thinking they are refined crossbreeds.

I have always subscribed to the beauty of simplicity and fewer parts in machines when possible, not more parts, more complications, and more potential problems.

I look forward to the simplicity of EVs and will someday have some when they are tweaked a bit more. But, until then I will stick with ICE vehicles and skip these poorly named “hybrids”.
CSA

What do you suppose the average customer would rather buy . . . ?!

A Ford Fusion Combo . . . ?!

A Ford Fusion Hybrid . . . ?!

1 Like

Exactly my point! I called the misnomer “hybrid” a marketing ploy. True hybrids result from taking the best qualities of two different individuals making one superior one.
CSA

Hybrid does not necessarily imply improvement, though in biology, that is generally the desired result when done deliberately. In general, hybrid can mean “anything that is a mixture (or combination) of two or more things.” or “something heterogeneous in origin or composition: composite.” You can have, say music or architecture, that is a hybrid of two (or more) different styles.

Many dictionaries now have a definition for hybrid referring to the type of automobile.

Um . . .

Just because I posed my question, doesn’t mean I agreed with you

To be crystal clear . . .

I’d rather buy a Ford Fusion Hybrid

I wouldn’t buy something called a Ford Fusion Combo

Seems like a ‘hybrid’ name doesn’t hurt sales, more than 6 million Prius models have been sold. Folks love them.

So, to be clear, I guess you agree by default?
You made my point, again.
CSA

You’ve got SERIOUS reading comprehension problems

You’ll probably find some way to take that as a compliment :laughing:

Thank you very much! I appreciate it.
That’s probably the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me!! :laughing:
CSA