CarTalk.com Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Battery Cell

My mileage has dropped from about 40 MPH to 30 MPH and my research and the age of the car, 10.5 years suggest that I need to repair or replace my hybrid battery.

Because I am retired and have worked with electrical control circuits and three-phase power and some say cheap I would like to clean the contact and replace the degraded cells.

Has anyone worked on the hybrid battery on a 2010 Ford Fusion?

Specifically, where can I buy the cells and if needed any special tools.

One of the reasons I want to do it myself is I have seen very poor electrical workmanship.

I’m only cheap spending on myself, when I am with friends and family I almost always pay.

I miss the show, for many years I saved Saturday and Sunday mornings for Cat Talk.

If you have a question about three-phase power or air compressors please ask.

it may happen that your battery is still OK, but Ford has a computer-controlled timer which reduces the load on it in order to “save” it (??)

read this thread for more info:

my view on this: somehow Toyota managed not to introduce this “pre-programmed efficiency reduction” into their cars and they keep going for 15+ years

2 Likes

Tester

Carefully read the discussion @thegreendrag0n mentioned above. I fixed my 2011 MKZ hybrid (same system as your Fusion) using the web site linked in that discussion.