2010 Ford Escape vs Subaru Outback?

Looking for a new small SUV… have it narrowed down to the 2010 Ford Escape or 2010 Subaru Outback. Any opinions?

Are you looking at a FWD Escape or an AWD Escape?

I’ve owned and driven both and would take the Subaru. To me, AWD and manual transmission go hand-in-hand. Automatics don’t provide the necessary control in slippery or deep snow conditions. If you can live with auto, I’d also look at RAV4 and CRV. Cars are like shoes – what fits me may not fit you.

Twotone

One thing to keep in mind with the Subaru; the AWD is fairly complex and will not tolerate extreme differences in tires. Be prepared to hear “your tire is bad, you need 4 new tires”, also, it won’t tolerate many differences in tread patterns either, so you can’t really go mixing and matching different brands of tires either.
The same will likely apply to the Escape if it’s AWD too.

I don’t know how the new Escapes are faring but I am just having to replace the transmission in my 02 at only 54k miles. Until now I was relatively happy with it but this is just a deal breaker for me.

I own a 2010 Outback with 3.6 it is a great car, I’ve put about 5,000 miles on it so far. Much nicer than the Escape. I have owned older Outbacks but the 2010 is way better than the older models. I am getting about 25 to 26 MPG on the highway if I am gentle on the accelerator.

I am in total brainlock over this same decision. Just can’t make up my mind, and every time I think I have, I go back the other way. What I really want is a diesel Outback, but that’s not happening any time soon. How do I make up my mind??? I enjoy driving the Escape but I love driving the Outback - which has significantly poorer mileage, and that’s important to me. Oy vey.