2010 Chevy Malibu Electrical issue

My wife just purchased a 2010 Chevy Malibu LS 4 Cyl, 2.4L. Whenever she hits a bump the dash lights go out. I do not know if her Daytime running lamps go out too, just that her dash lights do. I checked the sensor on the dash top center and it works fine. I covered it with my hand and the lights dimmed. I uncovered it and they got brighter. Do not know what might be loose that is causing this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My first check would be the connectors to the dash itself. Look for a loose connector. If that is ok then I would suspect a bad connnection to the lighting circuit inside the dash cluster.

Cougar,

I appreciate the ideas. I'll give them a check and see what I find. If those connections are OK, do you have any other ideas as to the cause?

You could try tapping on suspected trouble spots to help locate the problem. I like to use a screwdriver handle to things with. That method has found a lot of problems like this.

Come to find out there is a small plug-in on the dash below the stereo. Almost looks like a headphone jack. It was loose in the dash. When wiggled side to side it caused the issue mentioned. My wife pushed it in to the dash seating it where it should be and has not had a problem since. Do not know what that port is or why it caused such an issue.