2009 toyota camry

The toyota car guide says oil capacity is 4.5 quarts and 4.5 quarts put it about 1/2/to 3/4 of an inch over full the oil was measured to the once. I have called them but cant get an answer yet they have a case number on the problem #0910109471.

Don’t worry about it. Just go by the dipstick. You’re probably seeing the effect of undrained oil remaining in the engine.

The 4.5 quarts is probably WITH a filter. That means the filter will hold some of the oil. If you changed the oil WITH FILTER…then you need to start the engine and let it run for a few seconds. This will fill the filter up with oil (thus removing some from the pan) and drop the level where it should be.

When I do my own oil and filter changes I always “underfill” the oil and then add until I get a reading on the dipstick slightly below the full mark. I don’t worry too much about whatever the specification capacity listed in the manual. For instance if the manual says 5 quarts, I’ll put in 4 and then start the car and run it for a couple of minutes and check for leaks. Then I’ll stop the motor and let it sit for a couple of minutes while I clean up and put away the tools. Then I’ll check the dipstick and fill as needed until I hit the mark I want. Then I’ll check it again in about a week or so and usually the oil is still at the same mark on the dipstick.

Perhaps your old oil didn’t drain completely if the car was not “level” or something else was a bit off.

You’d be surprised by how much oil remains in the oil system, like the lifters, the oil galleys, the pump, the bearing surfaces, and one the heads and under the intake in the valleys of the castings. This can easily lead to the .5 quart or more your seeing. Use the dipstick, that’s what it was made for.

I have the same problem with my 2009 camry and seen this alot on the 2AZFE engine in other applications. For my customers and for myself I put in 4.25 and the oil level is at the top. I also let my car drain for a good 5 to 10 minuites as well. I contacted my dealer and they said they only put 4.2 to 4.3 qts in. I think these engines have a dipstick that’s a tad too long in my opinion.

If you drain your oil cold or even just warm you can leave a lot of oil in the engine but if yoy drain your oil hot and wait until you only have slow drops , then measuring the oil you put in is more accurate than your dipstick, if the two don’t agree and your oil fill information is from your owners manual then it is your dipstick that is off.