2009 Nissan Rogue

Should you replace the water pump when you replace the timing chain on my 2009 Nissan Rogue. Thanks.

Why are you replacing the timing chain on this Rogue? That would not be a routine maintenance item like a timing belt.

And no, you don’t have to replace the water pump, it is not driven by the timing chain.

Mustangman took the words right out of my mouth.

Sheri, would you like to tell us what problem(s) you’re experiencing?

It would be nice to know the mileage on the car too.

I’m working on my 2006 Pathfinder now and at 160K miles main chain is still in a very good state, I’m only replacing secondary chains and tensioners, which is a known failure on this model

if you are talking about chain replacement, you must either ticked a lot of miles or have some other problem, normally chain is not a routine maintenance item

I wouldn’t reuse a 9 year old water pump during a timing chain replacement. If you plan to keep the vehicle for a year or two pay for the new water pump.

It doesn’t really matter since the timing chain doesn’t drive the water pump

A large percentage of the cases of worn-out timing chains seem to relate to overly-extended oil change intervals.

It would be nice to know the following regarding the OP’s vehicle:

Odometer mileage
Type of driving to which it is typically subjected (urban, suburban, highway, mixed)
The typical oil change interval–in terms of BOTH odometer mileage and elapsed time.
:thinking:

If the water pump needs to be replaced next year it will be 2 hours labor and another gallon of coolant.

I understand that, but the OP didn’t say it was needed, they asked:

I do wonder though, if you would take this to a shop, would you save much, if any labor doing water pump at the same time as timing chain?

No one can predict when the water pump will need to be replaced but the customer will be disappointed if the water pump fails a year later. Why not replace it while the engine is apart?

we do not even know the mileage, spare the story behind why chain need to be replaced

OP dropped one message and the rest is only a bunch of our speculations from the very low amount of information

1 Like