2009 Honda Accord V6 drive belt question

I’m about to replace the alternator on my Accord EX-L V6. The car has over 194,000 miles on it, so I figure I might as well replace the drive belt since I have to remove it to replace the alternator. Here’s the question; What size is the right one? Buddy Le3’s YouTube Video rant] claims that Advance Auto Parts sold him the wrong belt (Carquest #5060840) and it was 5/8" too short.
He claims the right part number ends in 841. Advance doesn’t have one. I’m reluctant to pit the wisdom of one guy on YouTube against a respected nationwide business, but Advance also sold me the wrong brake pads for my car resulting in an incomplete replacement.

So I come to the collective wisdom of the CarTalk forum seeking guidance. What’s the right drive belt for my car, O Enlightened Ones? :slight_smile:
2009 Honda Accord EX-L V6 sedan, automatic transmission.

This is easy, just call the Honda parts dept. and if they don’t have one in stock they will order the right one. These belts are good for 5 to 7 years so even if it is a few dollars more the AutoZone big deal.

1 Like

Good point about the Honda dealer. When was the timing belt last changed? It is supposed to be changed every seven years or 105,000 miles, whichever comes first. It is an interference engine, and replacing the timing belt on time is very important. The water pump should be replaced when the timing belt is, and do the coolant at the same time. If you don’t need the timing belt now, keep in mind that you should do all three at the same time. Since the timing belt replacement is in 15,000 miles, you might wait until you do that to replace the drive belt if the current one is in good condition.

1 Like

Actually, it’s the serpentine drive belt. And I’m stuck the middle of an alternator replacement. Can’t figure out where the top mounting bracket goes. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Follow this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4A2e9Ms4iU

Serpentine and drive belt are the same thing.

Sorry, I meant serpentine drive belt as opposed to the timing belt. The timing belt was changed by the dealer during the 100,000 mile service.

I replaced the serpentine drive belt this afternoon after replacing the alternator. Couldn’t find a YouTube video that showed it well and there wasn’t a diagram of it in the Haynes manual my friend bought me yesterday.

Did you know there’s a website called serpentinedrivebeltdiagram.com that has drive belt diagrams for just about any car you can think of? :slight_smile:
I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.
Thank God for the World wide web!

VOLVO, I’m a bit hesitant to call them and ask if they have the parts. They’re the ones who did the hard sell on getting me to let them replace the alternator for $689.00. And gave me a free oil change while they were diagnosing the problem. Nice guys.
I may call them and ask if they have some more of those annoying little body panel connectors. Them puppies are hard to remove without breaking them, especially after 8 years and 194,000 miles in Texas heat.