2009 Ford Escape Hybrid - Too slow

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid. Slow to pick up speed from a stop. Acting like a carbonated car with a bad accelerator pump. Not all the time.

Do you have a CEL on (check engine light)?? If so what are the codes… Have you checked for pending codes??

How long have you had the vehicle?? Is it new to you or just a new problem??
Have you checked the air filter and under the filter?? rodents love nesting under air filters…

1 Like

I presume you mean “carbureted car”. It’s a good analogy. A carbureted car’s accel pump provides the engine more fuel and therefore the engine has more power during the acceleration phase; it follows that if the accel is sluggush, the engine might not be getting enough fuel. Since your hybrid has a similar symptom, and the hybrid battery charge is its fuel, seems like the first shop test (after checking for stored diagnostic codes) should be the hybrid battery voltage under load.

YOUR VEHICLE HV BATTERY IS AROUND 300 VOLTS AND CAN/WILL KILL YOU!!!

Unless you know and understand HIGH VOLTAGE Hybrid systems and know how to work on them stay away… IF you are hit by the high voltage you can/will die instantly… No 2nd chances and you will never know what happened…

https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/Training/AFV/Emergency-Response-Guides/Ford/Ford-Escape-HEV-2008-2009-ERG.ashx#:~:text=The%20total%20voltage%20of%20the%20battery%20pack%20is%20approximately%20300%20volts%20DC.

1 Like

That test should only be done by a pro-shop.

Read this thread, your hybrid is programmed to decrease the power use from the battery after 10 or so years, that could be what you’re experiencing. That’s what happened to my 2011 MKZ hybrid. Or the hybrid battery could be worn out after 14 years. How many miles on it?

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid electrical motor comes on less; mileage dropped - Maintenance/Repairs - Car Talk Community

But first check the regular stuff - how old is the 12v battery? It powers the computer, maybe it’s not up to the task, causing odd problems.

If you do find out it’s the hybrid battery, check in your area, it’s available from hybrid battery rebuilders for $2400-$3600 plus installation near me. I wouldn’t pay for a factory battery if it’s more than that.

3 Likes