2009 Dodge Calibet SXT 2.0 (CVT) -TRANSMISSION FLUID - 2009 Dodge Calibet SXT 2.0 (CVT)

Hey guys, I have a 2009 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0 (CVT), I am in a bit of a bind, I had transmission fluid mixing with my coolant (THICK PURPLE LIQUID IN RADITIOR), I had my head gasket inspected and that was good, I was searching online and found out the transmission cooler under the battery would cause this, so I suspect it is bad, I ordered a new one and it is going to be here toomorrow, I think I am well prepared to change it but just wanted to run my plan(s) to install to you guys just to confirm, a lot of transmission fluid has leaked out, so I must refill.

I just want to make sure I am not forgetting anything? Thanks for all the input!

How do you plan on removing all the coolant that is now in the transmission??

5 Likes

Be forewarned . . . the transmission may soon be due for an overhaul, no matter how quickly you replace that cooler, even if you also do a trans fluid service

1 Like

This listing seems to show air cooled trans cooler? I don’t see extra fittings for coolant heat transfer loop.
I’ve heard of some folks adding an additional cooler besides rad loop to increase cooling.

RockAuto doesn’t show the part, it is not part of the radiator…

This should be the cooler, or maybe Heater to get the ATF up to proper temp…

OP’s set up is probably like the top set up part #4…

I’d never own a caliber so I don’t spend much time deciphering Dodge engineering. So, it’s more trans fluid warmer than cooler?

Seems unlikely the cause would be a head gasket failure. Much more likely the trans cooler, providing the trans cooler has a coolant loop. It’s possible a shop poured coolant into the wrong place too However the coolant got into the trans fluid, it all must be removed. The coolant will rapidly attack and degrade the transmission bearings & clutches otherwise. Best case: This is probably going to require removing the transmission and torque converter to get a complete drain. Worse case: A replacement transmission.

Diy’er, no experience w/this particular vehicle.

One of the main reasons (besides money and room) trans coolers run through a rad (internal cooler) is to run the ATF up to operating temp as quickly as possible, but then it has to try to keep it from overheating as well, basically keeping the ATF within an operating range… Systems that do not use the rad/trans (internal) cooler can use a valve to control/stop the ATF flow through the external cooler to heat it up and then flow to maintain the temp…
That is why most aftermarket coolers recommend running the ATF through the internal (rad) cooler before running it through the external cooler in series…

Automatic transmission Drag cars that run an external cooler only, will typically run the vehicle in gear (on jack stand or special pit lift) to bring all the fluids up to temp…

But to answer your question about the OP’s alleged cooler mixing fluids, being more trans fluid warmer than cooler?? Who the heck knows with them after M/B and others started passing Mopar around like a cheap whisky at a Frat party and got involved with them and engineered the Caliber and others… It’s NOT your Fathers Mopar anymore…

2 Likes