2009 Cadillac CTS Need Help Valve Spring

It does look possible @TwinTurbo. And if there is clearance for a long nosed Vice Grip in there it could save some time. Obviously my eyes aren’t as good as yours and @jtsanders. It took some squinting for me to see that valve stem.

The procedure appears to specify the compressed air method to hold the valve in place. It says to remove the starter, then hold the crank in place with a special flywheel holding tool. Remove the camshaft and rockers. Next compress the valve spring with a special tool, remove the keeper, then loosen the spring, and remove the retainer, then the valve spring (requires a special tool). Next remove the valve stem seal (special tool). Now install a new valve stem seal (special tool), spring, and spring retainer, compress the spring (special tool), and install the keepers, etc etc … reverse of above to put it all back together. Common sense I’d guess would require verifying proper valve/crank timing before cranking engine.

Tools required: 46106 Flywheel Holding Tool , 46110 On-Vehicle Valve Spring Compressor, EN 46116 Valve Stem Seal Remover/Installer

The procedure is different left side vs right side btw. Above is the left side for v6 3.6L

Suggest to use the compressed air method rather than risk marring the surface of the valve stem. There’s not much extra work required to do it that way. Tester’s rope method seems like it would work well too, and very easy to do.

I would (and have) used Tester
s rope method, It is elegant, non damaging, and at the time I did it I didn’t
have a compressor. Sometimes old school is best. I still prefer a test light for troubleshooting lights over a multi-meter although aver young person I know uses a multi meter.

Pic #3 with blue pointer is broken spring? It is sitting on top of cyl head bolt? Can you show better pic of broken spring? Why did you take pic of spring in that spot?

I was wondering about that. There is a picture of a broken section of valve spring already removed but no picture of the location that it came from.

There is talk about holding the intake valve while replacing the spring, how do we know it came from an intake valve?

No, he’s using a little round mirror to show the side of the spring next to that head bolt.

1 Like

Hmm, if spring is broke so cyl has ZERO compression than what is holding valve up away from piston? i would also worry that missing spring will let retainer slide down valve stem and let keepers fall out? and than, its bang time. yes i know motor is not running now but has valve been damaged during short time it was running very poorly? i assume shop said $2k would involve removing head and inspecting all valves and top of pistons

Any new reports?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of those compression numbers are too low. Granted, a 77k miles engine should not be in that shape but it is what it is to use a widely overused cliche’.

Maybe a wet test before tearing it apart would have been a good idea.