2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Engine issues

Son drove car now got a engine Blick big hole he was on the hiway u did this happen now engine gone

Those engines have been known to consume an excessive amount of engine oil. Did you check the engine oil level before lending the car?

I presume you are posting using a cell phone. I have difficulty hitting those small cell-phone keys myself. But for best results here, suggest to take your time and make your posts more clear, easier to read. Might be a good idea for you to post here only from a desktop of laptop computer, normal sized keyboard in other words. You can still read the responses using your cell phone.

Do you mean the engine block has a big visible hole and is damaged beyond repair? If so, I presume what happened is a connecting rod came loose from its moorings and penetrated the block. In most situations involving daily-drivers (normally used cars), the only way that would happen is if there was not enough oil in the crankcase. Or there was a complete loss of coolant. If either of those occurred the check engine light would turn on. If either of those occurred, a dashboard warning light would turn on. Did it?

If you are wondering what to do with that problem, ask shop to install a replacement engine. Or send car to crusher.

1 Like

I also vote for an extremely low oil level. When is the last time the level was checked and was it full at that time?

1 Like

A check engine light for low oil level/pressure? Oil pressure is rarely monitored by the PCM as an emission factor. The coolant temperature circuit will set a fault if the coolant temperature sensor is out of range: greater than 284 F.

Both of those systems have their own gauge or warning light.

2 Likes

Good point. I had the low oil pressure warning light turn on once on the Corolla, but there was no check engine light. Edited above to say

“If either of those occurred, a dashboard warning light would turn on.”