2008 Subaru Impreza cam belt failure

I bought this car new and have keep it in a garage at my vacation home. It is driven 3 months a year, has only 35K miles, and looks like a new car. The dealer tells me I need to change the cam belt, because of the car’s age. (That is, when they’re not trying to buy it from me.) I’ve never heard of a Subaru’s cam belt failing on a car that wasn’t well beyond the 105K mileage limit, including the 5 that I’ve owned. Has anyone had a Subaru cam belt failure after the 105 month time limit, but well before the 105K mileage limit? Thanks.

Change the timing belt. It is time OR mileage, whichever comes first. Time came first. Just do it.

6 Likes

If you dig into the back corners of your desk for a rubber band that’s old but unused and you try to stretch it, you might get your answer.

Do you plan to keep this car past 2028? If not, then you’ll have to replace the belt one time sooner or later, so why wouldn’t you just do it now?

I’m under the impression that you have an interference engine, in which case you’ll be spending a lot of money if you lose this gamble.

1 Like

+1
This shouldn’t be a mystery to the OP, simply because his car’s maintenance schedule clearly states 105,000 miles or 105 months, whichever comes first.

1 Like