2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Transmission. Question

I need folks’ input. I have a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer with 201,100 miles. Transmission is a CVT (can’t remember the part number).

Last year I began to have issues with overheating over long distances, but found that if I kept it to 70 and under, as well as not using cruise control going up hills, I didn’t have an issue. Approximately 5-6 months ago I found a small leak on the stock auxiliary cooler, so I replaced the auxiliary cooler and noted an OEM
Cooler on the radiator. During this, the fluid that came out of the old cooler had a reddish hue (my guess is that the former owner put AT fluid in instead of CVT fluid). I put more CCT fluid in to
Replace the fluid lost, and overall the switch helped but didn’t solve the overheating issue.

Fast forward til now, overheating issue is presenting again, as well as the car is now jerking going up hills.

I am aware that my transmission is at the end of its life, so my question is: would it be worth flushing it and replacing the fluid, or should I just look to have it rebuilt?

Thanks ahead of time for your input!

Overheating - engine or transmission?

Definitely transmission. I get the slow down warning on the dash, then it’ll go into limp mode.

Your CVT is slipping, badly. It is not long for this world. Plan accordingly - and quickly!

Doing a fluid change on a 200k+ mile transmission that is already slipping is the automotive equivalent of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as it was sinking. Save yourself the cost of that fluid change, and put it toward the cost of a trans overhaul.

1 Like

Anyone by chance have a rough estimate on the cost to rebuild a CVT?

You will just have to get estimates from places near you . Just avoid chain types , an independent will give the best results.