2008 Kia Spectra engine knock and white smoke when trying to start

Awesome. I’ll keep everyone posted on what happens.

You’ve got my vote.

1 Like

I dont mean to sound ignorant, but when you guys say slipped timing belt, you mean skipped a couple teeth or you mean slipped like fell of the gears off on the bottom?

The belt slipped a couple of teeth possibly which throws the valve timing out and causes things like low compression readings and other symptoms you mentioned.

1 Like

Okay thanks for clearing that up. I was unsure.

The teeth on the belt tear off. Remove the upper timing belt cover and see if the cam gears turn while you crank the engine.

Okay I’ll definitely check that. I work nights so it’ll have to be tomorrow morning when I check. But I’ll let you know the result.

Hey everyone. Just an update. Today I went outside and tried to start the car again. It actually ran for about 10 seconds before shutting off. While it was running, there a screeching sound and then the white smoke started again. It died and then wouldn’t start again. I waited about 5 minutes, tried to start it again, and it started for about 5 seconds this time. Still screeching and still a little white smoke. Hopefully this helps you guys. I seriously appreciate all of your comments and concerns involving my vehicle.

Side note, it also will not increase RPM when I put foot on gas while the car is idling.

Sounds like the alternator or water pump has seized, remove the belts and start the engine.

1 Like