2008 Infiniti FX35 - Bang, and it died

2008 infinity fx35 was going down the hwy and it sounded like I blew a tire. got onto shoulder and I shut the motor off. It wouldnt start again wouldnt click when turning ignition, battery was dead. looking at the timing chain seems to be intact. will turn the crank but stops hard after so far. Like something is holding it from turning any farther. Any ideas on that? Codes come up crank sensor and timing.

Sounds like you might have thrown a rod or dropped a valve or something internal…
You could try removing the drive belt and see if that changes anything…

5 Likes

How did you decide the timing chain is ok? The timing chain doesn’t turn the crank. The pistons turn the crank, and the crank turns the camshaft via the timing chain. DMP’s advice above to rule out a seized accessory is a good one, as that could cause this sort of symptom. However, suggest to not attempt to rotate (i.e. start) the engine until the valve timing is known to be ok. Otherwise expensive to repair damage could occur.

I think expensive damage has already ocurred.

5 Likes

Yeah, doesn’t sound like anything good. But who knows? Could be something minor. I expect OP is hoping someone owning this same car has experienced this exact symptom.