2008 Hyundai Elantra, Fan Question

I have a 2008 Hyundai Elantra, and have a minor issue with the fan. Even though the switch is in the “off” position, I still can hear the fan attempting to turn on. It will briefly click on, then click off. I’m thinking it’s an issue with the switch, and was thinking about having Hyundai look at it next time I get it serviced. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem, or what may be wrong with it.

What fan? The radiator fan or the heater/A-C fan? Assuming it is the radiator fan, if the car is hot when turned off, it may keep the fan on for a while.

If you are refering to the ignition switch and the radiator fan, this may be a normal condition. When you shut off a warm engine, the water pump stops and the coolant in the block absorbs more heat. This triggers a sensor which starts the fan.

If you are refering to the switch for the fan for the heater/air conditioning system, some cars have a relay for the high speed on this fan. The relay could be defective.

You are obviously talking about the heater fan because there is no switch for the radiator fan. Some cars don,t have an off position on the heater fan but I don’t know about Hyundai. If there is a way to shut off power to the heat and cool system then the fan usually doesn’t have an off.

The switch I’m referring to is the one on the dashboard for the heater / air system. This is also the mode switch where you can select what mode you want it on, and there is another dial for the speed, that just has “1 2 3 4.” The mode switch has the different modes (defrost, defrost / floor, vents and floor, etc). When the mode switch is in the off position, it sometimes tries to turn on.

Hi everyone.

Just a follow up, it turned out to be the blower motor relay that is faulty. Hyundai has to order the part, and will let me know when it comes in. It was actually kind of funny, because when I had it serviced today, I mentioned that to the service adviser. The tech originally couldn’t find anything, so he completes (or so he thinks) the service. As soon as he starts the car up and puts in in reverse to back it out, the blower motor comes on even though the dial is in the off position! Then again, I’m glad this happened when i was there, because this problem is so intermittent.