2008 Honda Accord bad rust

I’d find a shop with a ‘pit’ (like used by oil change shops) and have the mechanic inspect the undersides with a screwdriver to see just how bad it is. No lift needed.

2 Likes

For those who might think that taking your vehicle to a commercial car wash, either full service or self-service, you need to find out if they recycle the water and many, many do… Water is not as cheap as it used to be… And if they do recycle the water, when they flush the tanks and start using fresh water.

I live on the Chesapeake Bay side of Virginia and there is little to no salt on the roads in the winter, mostly sand; but we have the brackish water that often over laps the roads during storms and high tides. And we have the folks who drive on the beach and in the surf…

Many modern car washes recycle water to reduce water consumption and waste. A friend owns three car washes, two self-service and one is full-service, and all three of his car-washes recycle the water. We have had numerous discussions about dissolved salt that does not get filtered out…

His Car Washes use a closed-loop system to collect and treat water used in the wash. The water is separated from solid waste, filtered, and disinfected to remove contaminants and microorganisms with UV Lights. The treated water is then reused in the wash.

He begrudgingly admits the salt is not removed by his treatment… He cleans the system on Mondays after the weekend rush and this might also be the best days for you wherever you live

Those are hard to find around here. Better chance with a 4 poster and ramps so it lifts by the wheels.

Always interesting to start poking. I have an awl for that purpose. Still makes me cringe when you find a soft spot…

Almost 30 years ago now, I inherited my Dad’s early 90s Grand Marquis. I drove it for quite a few years before selling it. Man, that had a nice ride. Wish I still had it now…

If you can’t change a tire and get a flat , you’d need to leave your car on the side of the road & walk or call a taxi to get home. I can’t speak to your Accord, but the trunk tire-changing jack that came w/my Corolla pretty much requires it be installed on the pinch weld. I’ve never used it other than to test it works, always have done my jacking at home using a floor jack. I put the floor jack under the main front crossbeam and jack both front wheels at the same time. Easy peasy.

1 Like

Reminds me of the ‘good old days’, when a sure sign you had a rust problem is when the bumper jack would remove the bumper from the car.

4 Likes

Those are junk, the roadside assistance technician will bring his own jack.

Few people change their own flat tires, vehicle manufacture have been providing roadside assistance for the first 5 years of ownership, customers get accustomed to the service and continue use after the free service ends.

Using a road-side assistance service definitely seems safer.

My vehicle ins also offers free towing…

it might also have road-side, but don’t hold me to it, my wifey keeps up with all that stuff, and I am way too lazy to walk out to a vehicle to look at the extra card we get for them…

1 Like

Mrs JTs car wouldn’t start while at a doctor’s office. The tow truck driver said that he was only authorized to tow the car but was happy to try using his power pack. That worked and we were on our way without the tow. We also have roadside/towing service through our auto insurance.

1 Like