2008 Honda Accord bad rust

I just sprayed the area the best I could using the pressurized spray wand, presumably some of the spray also washes out the inside. I expect more frequent is more effective than more thorough. I applied the wax only to the external surfaces of the rocker panels. That area is hard to reach so it takes some effort.

The rocker panels on Bing’s Pontiac rusted through and he waxes twice each year, maybe wax causes rust?

If my 50 year old truck had remained in salted-road Colorado for all 50 years, I expect its rocker panels would have rusted out too. If OP prefers to follow your recommendation to neither rinse nor wax the rocker panels, it is ok by me.

Could it be possible that Bing’s vehicle had a chip somewhere ? Never in my lifetime heard wax can cause rust.

I was being silly, the pictures in the original post show rocker panels that rusted from the inside out. Apply wax if you think it will help but sooner or later you might cut your hand on a rust hole.

2 Likes

It was sarcasm.

2 Likes

I’m eagerly anticipating @bcohen2010 stating that the Dodge Omni was a wonderful car and we should all go out and buy one

4 Likes

I was in an SCCA multi-class race many years ago with an Omni on a temporary airport racetrack. The Omni’s entire rear axle tore loose from the car and pitched the car off the track. No one was hurt but it was hilarious!

3 Likes

For now just did what I could to get through the winter. I have taken it in the past 2 months to the dealer and another shop with inspection and it hasn’t come up as a major safety hazard.

the pinch points at which your car is supposed to be lifted are GONE

I spend a lot of time on the porch, Ouch, =body damage, rust belt =dang salt, running on a flat tire = where do you think you are going, gas station 2 blocks away to put air in the tire? I like to analyze weird noises, power steering pump. exhaust issue, manifold gasket, one of my favs van going up and down the street, dog hanging head out the window barking every 3 seconds or so, I do not mind it a bit.

Back when I was managing a shop with two alignment racks, a friendly competitor called and asked what we would charge to check out a car with excessive steering play. They said the car was too rusty for them to safely lift it on their side post hoists.

I questioned the wisdom of taking this car in and suggested they refuse service on this car.

3 Likes

The GLH & GLHS was… lol

You won’t hear that out of me. I have never driven one, but it looks so similar to the Chevette, and I remember what a death trap that thing was. In fact, my family owned a 1981 Chevette, which was destroyed in an accident while my father was driving.

Even though we were all wearing our seat belts, several of us were injured, and my father suffered broken ribs, among other injuries, and had to miss an entire year of work to fully recover. You could not give me a Chevette, nor an Omni/Horizon. Even for free, it’s too expensive.

I owned an 81 Horizon 2.2 ,4 door. It was at least as good as any of its competitors in its class and dead reliable for me. It was cheap to buy and cheap to own and cheap tp repair and it saved my bacon when I lost my job of 17 years due to company closing. It was the last car I owned that did not need A/C in our climate because it had flow through ventilation and it was the only small car that fit my long legs.

We had used Omnis in our family with 2.2 Mopar, 1.8 VW and I.6 Peugeot engines and the 1.6 Peugeot OHV got the best mileage and all had enough power for me.

Even the 1.6 would easily top 90 mph.

Around here rust does our cars in. We use much more road salt per lane mile than any other place I have found info on.and winter temps that freeze most nights and thaw some most afternoons leaving a salt brine on the roads between the snowbanks. You cannot drive home from the car was without giving your car a salt bath and I lived only 3 blocks from a snow bath.

Fortunately global warming has made recent winters somewhat milder. I saw a bumper sticker some years ago that read " Buffalonians for Global Warming"

Had 2 Omnis when I was young, both dead reliable, and the wide track helped them handle decent compared to other FWD’s of it’s day… One had the VW engine and the other the 2.2L…

I would still love to own a GLH-S…

I had the Omni based Rampage 2.2, 5 speed, 5th being OD.
Tach quite ten minutes after driving off the dealers lot, dealer never could get a permanent fix for the tax. Two AC compressors first year under warranty. AC leaked R12 like a sieve. Dealer had the mini-truck five days for a recall to convert fuel pump from mechanical to electric.
On the plus side, it was a comfortable ride, as smooth as my 72 Buick Electra 225, got us from FL to CA without problems. The 2.2 provided adequate power.

If you can’t jack the car up to change the front tire is it still safe to drive?

I guess that depends. I’ve had cars that rotted out in limited areas before but I think “safe” is probably highly subjective. When I was much younger, I had a car that a shop refused to put on a lift. I couldn’t blame them. It’s their call based on their tolerance for risk and liability. I drove that car for a year and a half after that and then junked it due to other issues.

He can always put the jack under the lower control arm instead of the pinch weld :wink:

Yes he can jack it up that way.
I presume there is no solid frame on that vehicle. My friend had a 93 Grand Marquis that was stored in the parking garage of a condo. Water all over the floor. Frame rusted out behind the front wheel. No metal left for proper repair of any kind. He used it for short trips. No highway. Annual rustproofing has my 99 Grand Marquis rust free.