2008 Grand Caravan Intermittent Radio problem

I have a weird problem with the radio in our 2008 Grand Caravan.
About 2 or 3 weeks ago, the sound just stopped. The radio display still worked, time, channel, volume, just no sound.
The sound would come back after the vehicle had been turned off for awhile, then go away again after some time.
Now it’s starting doing something even stranger…the sound will die, sometimes static with volume control, sometimes no static, no volume.
It comes and goes, the radio works fine one day for an hour or so, then dies.
Some days, it doesn’t work at all.
Any ideas?

If the radio has a CD player, try a CD and see if the same thing happens. If it works normally, the problem is probably in the tuner section of the radio. In this case, try switching back and forth between the AM band and the FM band. Also, check the antenna as the problem may be there.

If the CD does the same thing as the radio section, then my guess that it in the amplifier section or there is a loose connection where the speakers are plugged into the system.

I have tried it with an Ipod into the aux input…no sound…thought it might be the antenna, but the fact that sometimes there is no volume level at all is very perplexing.

If you have the premium sound system in the van then there may be external amps involved and there possibly couild be a problem with the common power source to them. I tend to think though the problem is inside the radio and it will need to be either repaired or replaced. Ebay is a good place to find replacement unit for a reasonable price if you do that. Be sure you get the same model for replacement.