2008 GMC 1500 - odd startup routine

When starting I here a short crank from my starter with no problem starting and my clock changes to 1200 and my heat comes on can you tell me why ?

Symptom is consistent w/the electronic power to the clock or heater control electronics going below the minimum voltage spec. Ask your shop to measure the voltage supply to the clock circuit as you crank the engine.

If that checks out ok, another possibility, the voltage is ok, but the starter is producing electronic noise spikes, confusing the other electronics. The battery’s capacitance is usually is able to filter those noise spikes. So ask shop to also double check the condition of the battery, and its connection to the wiring harness, including the ground connection. It’s important that the starter motor’s ground current return to the battery ground is following the designed route through the engine and chassis, and not diverting to another path, like through the front axle shafts.

Appreciate it! Very helpful to try to find the issue.

O had a similar problem with a 1990 Ford Aerostat I once owned. Sometimes when I would start the engine, the clock would reset to 12:00. I would reset the clock and ignored the problem. This went on for a couple of weeks. I was filling the gas tank on a Sunday afternoon and after filling the tank, the engine wouldn’t crank. There wasn’t a sound when I turned the key. The horn wouldn’t honk and the lights wouldn’t come on. I called AAA for a jump and the Aerostar still wouldn’t start. I had the Aerostar towed to my house. I got out my voltmeter and measured the battery voltage. It was less than 3 volts. I think the battery had an internal short. I took our other vehicle and drove to Walmart and bought a new battery and installed it. The Aerostar started immediately and I had no more problems with the clock resetting to 12:00 on startup.
Check your battery. I think it is about ready to submit its resignation.

1 Like

Thank you, I have checked the battery connections. The battery is brand new, but will check with voltmeter too! It’s possible the battery is a lemon.

I once bought a new battery that didn’t last a day. I disconnected the battery cables and charged up the battery to 12.4 volts. Three hours later, the battery dropped to about 9 volts. Since nothing was connected to the battery, it obviously was defective.