2008 Dodge Ram 2500 - No Cats

I have a 2008 Dodge Diesel pickup, and live in Texas, that does not test emissions from that model year. It does have catalytic converters which someone stole. The estimate to replace them, parts and laboe excedded $12,000. Instead I paid $240 for a straight pipe to the muffler and disconnection and cut-off of the related sensors. The engine light does not come on, and because of now emissions testing, it will otherwise pass inspection. Am I causing any damage because of this configuration.

Yes, to the air we all breathe. Probably not likely to do any damage to the truck, BUT, It is a federal crime to straight pipe the cats. Doesn’t matter if Texas doesn’t emissions test, it is still a federal crime. One you won’t likely get caught doing, but a crime nonetheless.

2 Likes

Not long after the 6.7 L Cummins engine was introduced the aftermaket suppliers began to offer diesel particulate filter delete kits. Not legal but this has been done many times. Search “DPF delete kit” to find more information on the topic.

1 Like

Just what purpose does a federal law with no enforcement serve?

1 Like

Very little to nothing, I’d say.

1 Like

Some repair shops won’t touch a vehicle with missing cats. And some will report the owner to state/federal officials.

Tester

1 Like