2007 Toyota Yaris trouble

You can even get one thru the aftermarkethttp://www.car-stuff.com/toyotaacccabinfilter.htm apparently the filter is more standard across the pond.

The leaves are very small, and the tree also drops tiny little seeds. They suggesting installing the cabin bio-filter, but I still have to pay $800 for them to remove and clean the evaporator housing assembly. That’s the most frustrating part. Thanks for looking at your Yaris and responding!

My manual says that the car was assembled in Japan. I guess the screen blocks some leaves, just not small ones (or seeds). The bio-filter will help, it’s just going to take me a while to save up to have the whole problem addressed! Of course, if I’d known the tree was going to be a problem (and how could I, when none of my previous cars had this problem?), then I certainly would’ve had the filter installed to begin with.

My whole intake was stuffed with leaves, needles and acorns. Little critters brought them in for nesting and food. They climbed up the fender and got in through the drain. The mfrs don’t expect leaves to get in that way naturally. Like I said, 10 mins with a small piece of window screen and it’s solved.

For $700 I’d pour a small quantity of diluted bleach into the reservior and wait for the leaves to break down enough to come out the drain. Fishing the drain out once in awhile is no big deal compared to that kind of cash outlay. But that’s just my way of dealing with it. YMMV.

Would be nice to be able to edit…

Not the drain, they came up the fender, under the factory screen and then down through the inlet snorkel.

I think you still have a legitimate complaint, based on the owners manual not being specific enough on this subject. After all, trees and vegetation is part of the natural environment. You should get in touch with the Toyota zone rep. Good Luck

I spoke with someone today and explained what happened. He is supposed to call the dealer and then get back with me. I certainly don’t mind paying for the filter, or even the clogged hose, but the whole thing about the evaporator housing assembly just seems like it’s going way too far. I’ll keep posting to let you all know if there is any resolve to the matter. Thanks for all the advice!