2007 Toyota ECM (Computer) Needs to be replaced with no help from Toyota

The Powertrain Control module in the OP’s vehicle was covered in a recall issued Aug. 26, 2010. If threads are locked after 90 days information like this can’t be added to help the OP and others with the same problem.

I’m sorry, but what you described is not a drive cycle, and I’m not even getting into the other stuff :slight_smile:

I agree fully with asemaster’s statement

Here’s some interesting reading material, published by the state of Ohio EPA

http://epa.ohio.gov/Portals/27/echeck/docs/OBDReadinessDriveCycles.pdf

db: interesting. From your link, a drive cycle is:
Do this all at the same time and not in pieces (does not need to be exact)

1. Let the vehicle sit for 8 hours
  2. Start the vehicle and let it warm up
  3. Drive for at least 10 minutes at highway speeds (55 mph or more)
  4. Drive for at least 20 minutes in urban traffic with at least 4 idle periods

I can see driving for years and never performing that cycle !!

later on, they describe “drive cycles” specific to various manufacturers. They are at least as specific as above, sometimes more so.

From the factory service manual for my 97 Nissan Truck, a drive cycle is start from ambient temperature, drive until the engine has reached normal operating temperature and then shut down and allow the engine to cool back to ambient temperature.

A drive cycle does not guarantee that all the tests that a computer does will be done, they depend on specific requirements for that test.

Here’s what I said:

A “Drive cycle” … you get in the car, start the engine, drive for a while, then park, and stop the engine…

Here’s what Keith says his car’s manual says it is

Sorry, but I just don’t see there’s much difference in general from what I said than what Keith said. Each manufacturer defines “drives cycle” differently, but in general, for purposes of discussion, I maintain what I said the def’n of drive cycle is, that’s actually what it is. Remember, the OP said they had never heard of that term. I was just trying to give a basic def’n is all. Not a comprehensive list of all the sensors and dependencies involved on a per manufacturer basis.

According to the standardized definitions of the OBD-2 convention, that is not a drive cycle. That is a trip. There is a world of difference, and the two are not interchangeable. Keith’s definition is incomplete and inaccurate as well. These terms are no more open for discussion or interpretation than torque specifications or speed limits. Statements like “the code must not be detected for three consecutive drive cycles” or “a faulty gas cap could confuse the computer to make it think there’s a lean condition” are simply wrong.

2 Likes

George: you get in the car, start the engine, drive for a while, then park, and stop the engine

Keith: a drive cycle is start from ambient temperature, drive until the engine has reached normal operating temperature and then shut down and allow the engine to cool back to ambient temperature.

Anybody else come up with better def’n than those two to help the OP understand what a “drive cycle” is?

ASEMaster, show us your answer to the OP’s query?

What you describe is decidedly not a drive cycle. Any emissions certification program or driveability training would explain the difference between a trip and a drive cycle. Keith’s explanation is also incomplete, as there is much more to a drive cycle than simply starting a cold car, driving until warm, and shutting it off.

It’s been over 20 years since I first took training on how to deal with OBD2 drive cycles and readiness monitors and at least 10 since I’ve taught emissions repair certification classes, so pardon me if I don’t have the specific technical manuals right at hand. A google search will easily several results outlining a drive cycle. But in a nutshell:

The engine does not need to be cold to start off. Just within 10 degrees of ambient temp. The ECM needs to see a rise of at least 40 degrees in coolant temperature during the drive. The drive needs to include several minutes of idling, preferably during warm up. The drive needs to include part-throttle (1/2 or so) acceleration to 35mph followed by steady state driving at that speed for several minutes, then decelerate to a stop. The drive needs to include acceleration to 50+mph followed by steady state driving at that speed for several minutes, followed by coasting down to 30mph or so before braking and coming to a stop. Another few minutes of idling should complete the drive cycle.

Some monitors may not run, as different carmakers have different strategies for EPA compliance. For instance, a Ford will run the EVAP monitor at operating temp while the car is cruising at freeway speed. A Toyota will run the EVAP monitor immediately during a cold start after the car has been sitting several hours. A Chrysler will run the EVAP monitor 30 minutes after you’ve shut off a warm car and gone in the house.

There is far more to drive cycles, readiness monitors, fault code setting parameters, and manufacturer differences than can be explained in a post online.

2 Likes

Perhaps the OP will post back judging which of the three explanations, George’s, Keith’s, or ASE’s, is the most helpful to them.

Actually this is true. That was a simple definition but for a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) to see a drive cycle, the test for the DTC must run and that usually has other requirements. So a drive cycle to count, it depends on the DTC under question. The reality is that a definition for a drive cycle is complicated, but they all do carry the same basic requirement, cold start to operating temperature.

I thought my explanation would be sufficient for the OP.

1 Like

Still OK. I go in for some regular maintenance and I will mention the incident to see what they say.

Thanks guys! Because of you we just argued for covering the ECM repair of $800+ at the dealer due to the federal mandate. But more importantly…your angels were sent just in time bc the warranty expired in 2 days!!!

Very happy ending to an otherwise frustrating experience. Good for you.

BTW, do you understand what a drive cycle is now? :wink:

Sorry but I’m confused. Do we have three OP’s? Is it 2010 and a 2007 model that is still under warranty or is it 2017 and the original OP never came back? Doesn’t matter. I didn’t know the drive cycle was that complicated before.